C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions from a rookie

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 11:38 AM
19vette79
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions from a rookie

This is my first post to the forum, as well as my first Corvette (a 1979), so I may be asking some simple questions. The first pertains to my power antenna. It does not raise or lower, and I am pretty sure that it a power antenna by the fact that when I pushed it down to put a car cover on, it felt and sounded like gears grinding (BTW, it was non-functional before I did this). Would this be a fuse (I've checked all but the very top one, which looks like a 75 amp fuse, because that one is really hard to access) or something in the antenna itself or....?
Another question relates to my heater and wiper controls. They are both recessed in their respective spaces, and thus unappealing asthetically and more difficult to use. So, how do I remove the center console to access the heater controls (the four screws on the corners of the cover plate that the Haynes manual describes are non-existant) and how do I get into the dash to mount the wiper switch. Once I access these switches, is remounting a huge task? I have read the manual but just need some tips.
Next is the wind noise/ water leakage. Now this must be very common considering that Mid Atlantic sells a book solely for fixing these problems, but do any of you suffer? If you do or did, what is to be done? Is putting new rubber on a task the average owner can accomplish? I live in Portland, OR and my daily driver is receiving some much needed TLC, and thus the Vette occassionally gets me to work. The problem of water leakage is not dire, but noticeable.
I know this is a lot to deal with, and I thank you for taking the time to read this and hold my hand as I learn how to work on an American 5.7 liter rather than a German 1.8 litre.
Dave :cheers: :cheers:

[Modified by dcummings1998, 4:39 PM 10/10/2003]
Old 10-10-2003, 12:32 PM
enforcer
Instructor

Default Re: A few questions from a rookie (dcummings1998)

Welcome to the forum from another newbie! you will learn ALOT here just be sure to check in everyday.
wind noise and water leaks are also related to the interior heat problem.we all suffer there, just do a search for some good tips. in cars this old you have alot of sealing problems where gaskets have decayed and collaspsed or fallen out all together.
as far as the power antennae just look under the fender and you will be able to see what it is. its common for them to break but easy to replace.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:40 PM
19vette79
Advanced

Default Re: A few questions from a rookie (enforcer)

So I just look under the driver-side fender and see the antenna mechanism, but can I see by looking at it if it's broken? And about the wind/water leak, I can pinpoint a few leaks, such as the driver-side door is a big one. By examining the rubber, it is pretty beat up. I just need to know how and how hard it is to replace. Thanks for replying (it gives me something to read other than work-related materials).

Dave
Old 10-10-2003, 12:58 PM
theoUK
Pro

With your antenna, the first thing I'd check is whether the relay is working. I have an 80, and the antenna relay is in the jack storage box, behind the pass. seat. Not sure if this would be the case for your vintage!
Assuming it's there, it should click when you turn the radio on. Do you have an aftermarket radio? If so maybe someone's neglected to put the antenna trigger wire back, or maybe it doesn't have one anyway.
The first thing I'd do is check that the relay is "popping", and if not then try and work out why.
By the way, the fact that you were even able to push the antenna down would suggest that its broken internally anyway - but that would not be too hard to fix.
First things first, see if the relay works, then move on to the ant.
Maybe someone with a similar year could confirm where the relay is residing???

(On the 80 it has 6 wires, black, green, grey, white, yellow, orange.)

:cheers:
Old 10-10-2003, 01:08 PM
19vette79
Advanced

Default Re: A few questions from a rookie (theoUK)

I am also unsure of the position of the relay. My fuses are above the dead pedal, but I don't know if the relay is there. I just thought of another weird item: when replacing the fuse for my heater yesterday (I had to drive for an hour in a downpour with my windows down so I could see, which always leaves you feeling great about your day) I noticed that there were four wires that were near the fuse box but connected to nothing. They were (if I remember correctly) a brown wire with a black connector on the end that had a metal male piece inside, as well as two green and a black wire that mated together into a larger black connector with two metal male pieces inside that were perpendicular to each other. This trio was coming off a large bunch off wires that came from the fuse box and went to god-knows-where. Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2003, 02:16 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wind noise and water leaks? These cars weren't air tight when they were new. A set of headers and open side pipes, or a killer sound system can drown out the noise. As for the water leaks I suggest a nice set of matching towels. Perhaps something from the Martha Stewart collection.

Seriously, the weather stripping and seals are most likely dried out and worn. Replaceing them is fairly easy, you just have to take your time and make sure you get all of the old adhesive off and everything lines up properly.

Good luck with the car, you'll enjoy it.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:24 PM
19vette79
Advanced

Default Re: A few questions from a rookie (6t9l4t6)

Well done :) . Would you suggest going after it or just dealing? As I said, I live in Oregon, and although I will cover it for the winter (unfortunately my garage is in use by a car with "more value", although I beg to differ), I am worried about mildew and other fun stuff. BTW, I will take her out when I can to keep her in shape.
Dave
Old 10-10-2003, 03:24 PM
19vette79
Advanced

Does anyone have any input on the loose wires I found?
Old 10-10-2003, 03:40 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

I would guess that the loose wires are probably from the factory alarm system. I think these have been disconnected in most of our cars by now. I know mine are, and they also were in the '79 I had.

Get notified of new replies

To A few questions from a rookie

Quick Reply: A few questions from a rookie