C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Swap.. good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:40 AM
Torcher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Swap.. good idea?

I have a 1975 that I am thinking about changing the rear out to a 1980 rear. I know there is some welding involved for the mounting tabs, etc etc.. I have done it before.. What I want to know is what you think about this swap. Is the 1980 rear (dana44) stronger than the stock 1975 rear? The 1980 rear has been rebuilt and currently has 373 gears..(wish it were 355) anyway, besides what is involved in the swap, is this an upgrade or should I keep the 75 rear? Thx :crazy:
Old 10-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Rear Swap.. good idea? (Torcher)

keep the cast rear, it's stronger. I have a HD kit w/30 spline axles and rear ends and we always put them in the cast rear. We even take the aluminum rears out of the 80-82 and install the cast when someone puts the kit in. I don't think it will be worth your time either modifying the aluminum rear to fit in your car. What do you plan on doing w/the car? I think you could make a better upgrade w/something else.

I vote to keep what you have. :thumbs:
Old 10-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Rear Swap.. good idea? (Torcher)

Take Van Steel's advice, just drop your pumpkin and have a set of 3.55's installed if that's what you want. It will probably be cheaper and stronger than the 44. Better yet put in a set of 3.93's and a overdrive tranny.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Torcher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rear Swap.. good idea? (Smokehouse69)

Thanks for the advice.. That is basically what I am trying to find out.. which one is stronger. The cast rear needs a rebuild anyway.. but the aluminum rear has already been rebuilt. The car is basically going to be street driven only.. (part time driver.. not daily)but I am planning on upgrading to a higher HP enigine.. ZZ4? I don't know yet.. but I do not want to put something that is weaker than what I have. I'm not going to run it hard all the time.. just basically a stint once in a while at the track.. Nothing over say 425 HP. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Swap.. good idea?

Quick Reply: Rear Swap.. good idea?