C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What for sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 09:58 PM
toyvet1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What for sound deadening

I am getting ready to renew the interior in my 79. I know what I need for a heat barrier. I want to know what to use for sound deadening. I was looking at some stereo sites and found that durasheild(?) will cost a arm and a leg. I want to cover the whole rear compartment,floorboards,doors and behind the dash.I would like to stay away from tar based products. Any ideas?????
Old 10-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Spook
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What for sound deadening (toyvet1)

How about a nice set of earplugs... hehe

Actually depending on your specific requirements I would try POR-15 in this scenario or call them and ask for a specific recommendation from thier lineup.

Spook
:reddevil
Old 10-09-2003, 11:36 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What for sound deadening (Spook)

If you looking for a cheap alternative, go to home depot and pick up the hot water heater blacket- cotton pile with foil backing. I underlaid my carpet with that and it also is a heat barrier.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Viken
Advanced

Default Re: What for sound deadening (Spook)

if i'm not mistaken most insulation serves as both a heat and sound barrier, just depends on what you can afford... dynamat is the best, they offer several different products of various high prices... :D
Old 10-10-2003, 02:22 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: What for sound deadening (Viken)

if i'm not mistaken most insulation serves as both a heat and sound barrier, just depends on what you can afford... dynamat is the best, they offer several different products of various high prices... :D
:iagree:

I am putting in the aluminum backed jute padding. You get it at Pep Boys, 4 foot wide roll, I think it's 10 feet long for $20. I have been told 2 will do a C3.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:51 AM
gmcclurg
Racer

Default Re: What for sound deadening (BSeery)

I used Dynomat in my Datsun. Expensive, but it really works and I really didn't want to have to rip out the interior and do it all over again if I wasn't happy. There are some less expensive alternatives - one is called Brown Bread.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:34 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: What for sound deadening (gmcclurg)

You know the factory used a heavy tarpaper with jute behind it, and in conversion or factory window vans......in the rear on the floor and over the wheel wells is the same thing mostly...all formed and moulded for wheel wells, and it's FREE, at my favorite haunt....junkyards.....
find a newer van, fresher material....nice and clean....

GENE
Old 10-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: What for sound deadening (mrvette)

get Brown Bread, it's just as good as dynomat extreme and costs less. Don't use the home depot crap.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:52 AM
KWIL
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Re: What for sound deadening (Metal Wulf)

I installed brown bead under the door panels on my 80- it really quits things down.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Torcher
Racer

Default Re: What for sound deadening (bhblue80)

where does one find this "Brown Bread"? thx
Old 10-10-2003, 09:03 AM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: What for sound deadening (Torcher)

http://www.b-quiet.com/

or Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1498

[Modified by Metal Wulf, 9:05 AM 10/10/2003]
Old 10-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I would say Dynomat. My brother uses it in his monte carlo, which is his stereo compitition car. He has two layers of the stuff and it really helps eliminate vibrations and road noise. For him he uses it to keep the bass pressure in the car, and eliminate that trunk rattle most cars with bass have. Just remember if you want to go quick any sound deadener will add excess weight to a vehicle.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

http://www.b-quiet.com/

or Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1498
Metal Wulf, is this enough to cover our cars. I want to cover as much of the firewall and the rear storage area too if I can.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:30 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's how I did it. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page14.htm
Old 10-10-2003, 11:59 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: What for sound deadening (Eddie 70)

Metal Wulf, is this enough to cover our cars. I want to cover as much of the firewall and the rear storage area too if I can.
You should be able to get at least one layer down with the 70sq-ft. I don't know for sure, since I haven't gotten to the interior part of my restoration.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Enad
Racer

I bought 100sq ft of Phatmat (another cheaper Dynomat clone). I had plenty left over after doing the entire floor and both door panels. I'd say 70 or less.

Dane
Old 10-12-2003, 12:20 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My vote is for Dynamat Xtreme. I bought at ebay prices, about $100 plus shipping for 36 square feet bulk pack. You will need close to two full packs. I did a careful before and after test with my ZO6. Without any Dynamat, the sound level was 80-81 db's on smooth asphalt @ 70mph cruise, no radio or vents blowing.

After installing Dynamat in both doors, trans tunnel, floors, and rear cargo area the db's dropped to 77-78. A 4 db drop is considered half the noise. Decibel ratings are not linear.

A tip used in Fixed roof coupes like the ZO6 is to make a partition behind the seats at the rear window to block the noise from the noisy rear compartment. There is a lot of axle, tire, exhaust, and other road noises that come through this area. One reason why station wagons are much louder than sedans. Anyway, the rear partition dropped the noise on the Z to 73db's.

The car is now very pleasant to drive. The radio volume does not need to be raised from zero to 70 mph. Conversing is easy. The foil lined bubble wrap insulation just doesn't have the ability to remove the resonance that the Dynamat does.

I did the entire interior of my 69 in Dynamat Xtreme too. I know it helps a great deal, but I didn't do a before and after test for comparison. Old R&T tests show db measurements of c3's to be about 78-80 using the same "A" scale (not "C" scale) that I used. The A scale measure sounds the human ear can hear. The "C" scale measures sounds over a much broader spectrum. You may think it is quiet; but, in reality something might be making a very loud and very low frequency noise that would register a high db reading even though you can't hear it.

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To What for sound deadening

Quick Reply: What for sound deadening