C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral Safety Switch ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 08:02 PM
ToddBrown
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral Safety Switch ??

Had a problem this morning with my 78. When I turned the key the volt light would flicker, the generator light would flash and I could hear clicking but starter was not being engaged. I also noticed that I could shift from Park through the gears with the key on or off. Know there is some mechanism which is supposed to prevent car from being shifted from Park unless ignition is on. Ran the shifter up and down and back to Park and then car started. Did some digging and came across mention of a neutral safety switch. Could this be my problem? How do I diagnose further? This is the second time this has happened to me.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Neutral Safety Switch ?? (ToddBrown)

you can jump the switch to see if that solves your problem. In my case, someone jumped the clutch safety switch...similar to neutral switch but for a manual tranny. someone just connected the two wires that should normally be engaged when the switch is activated. I would think you could do the same.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Viken
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Neutral Safety Switch ?? (Frankenvette)

absolutely... i had problems starting off and on, and could never figure out what it was... finally narrowed it down to the neutral safety switch... if you put a meter on the two purple wires going into the switch, you should get a connection if your in park, but not if your in any other gear... mine would break the connection if i jiggled the wires a little... i decided to bypass the whole stock starter wiring... just installed a seperate 40-amp relay activated by the ignition switch, haven't had a problem since...

Get notified of new replies

To Neutral Safety Switch ??

Quick Reply: Neutral Safety Switch ??