C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O-Ring Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 07:35 PM
bb Blue 73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O-Ring Calipers

I have learned from the forum that O-Ring calipers are the best.

Have already purchased a set of regular stainless steel rebuilt calipers and was wondering if I could add the o-rings to them before they get installed?
If so, does anyone have a source for the o-ring set and then will need instructions how to install them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:44 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: O-Ring Calipers (bb Blue 73)

For a street car I would buy the kit from Vette brakes it requires NO grinding on the caliper. The billet Zero Tolerance pistons do (need grinding).
...redvetracr
Old 10-10-2003, 05:52 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Have already purchased a set of regular stainless steel rebuilt calipers and was wondering if I could add the o-rings to them before they get installed?

I'm not sure what your question is but it depends on the caliper pistons. Calipers are equipped with either the standard lip ring style pistons or the newer O-ring style pistons. Your SS calipers probably are equipped with the lip rings. If that is the case...those pistons cannot be used as O ring pistons...got to get new ones.

Now having said that...your calipers will accommodate the O ring style pistons but it is recommended that they be purchased from the same manufactuer as the calipers so the tolerances are consistent.

does that help?
Old 10-10-2003, 08:39 AM
bb Blue 73
Advanced

Default Re: O-Ring Calipers (hunt4cleanair)

Thanks everyone for your input. I will probably return the lip seal ones and exchange for the "o ring" type for sure now. Didn't realize the o-ring type would solve so many problem with brakes. Now I wonder why the venders sell the lip seal ones at all except maybe for those who want to keep the car stock.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:10 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

All you have to do is call Vette Brakes and Products http://www.vettebrakes.com and order the kit that will replace the pistons and seals. You have a good starting point with new calipers. If you bought them locally, they most likely have lip seals. Call Vette Brakes and order kit #11309 and #11310. Order 2 of each of these part numbers. You can take the nice new clean calipers and pop out the old pistons and put the o-ring type piston in. Total cost of the 4 o-ring kits will be about $120 with shipping.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:56 PM
drs80vette
Intermediate

Default Re: O-Ring Calipers (79VetteMike)

I am currently converting my stock calipers to o-ring type seals. I ordered the kit from VetteBrakes.com
The kit replaces the piston which will have a type groove that'll accept the o-ring. You'll also get the o-rings plus the outer ring/seal. I believe it'll also supply the small o-ring for the caliper halves.
I am going to apply RTV sealant in the piston boot groove for the outer ring/seal and then some around the outer ring in the counterbore once installed.
Lubricate the piston well when inserting.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:22 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes you can and yes you should upgrade them. The kits are roughly $28 a per wheel from Vette Brakes. As long as your calipers are SS sleeved the O-rings will work. It is very simple to do. Biggest headache is getting the lip sleeves back in without bending the lip.

Get notified of new replies

To O-Ring Calipers

Quick Reply: O-Ring Calipers