C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have the right torque convertor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Do I have the right torque convertor?

The other day someone posted a link to how torque convertors work, it got me to thinking, do I have the right torque convertor for my engine/rearend?
I have a TCI Holeshot-2400 in my TH400, I've got a ZZ4 crate and 3.08 rearend. The ZZ4 is supposed to be making about 350 lbft. at 2500rpm. It seems to have tons of torque at launch, I can boil the tires at launch and at the 1-2 the car will nearly get side to side from tire spin on any surface that is even slightly slick and bark the tires solidly on rough asphalt.
So performance wise I guess it is working pretty good. The car is very drivable, but I do have to be careful on damp or slick streets, to keep from laying a nice patch just taking off in traffic. With all the torque the ZZ4 has would I have been better off with a convertor that had a lower stall?
Old 10-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Do I have the right torque convertor? (Smokehouse69)

How's your tire-tread? I'd say the torque converter sounds perfect, actually. Launches you right into the powerband.

-Steve
Old 10-09-2003, 11:15 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other day someone posted a link to how torque convertors work, it got me to thinking, do I have the right torque convertor for my engine/rearend?
I have a TCI Holeshot-2400 in my TH400, I've got a ZZ4 crate and 3.08 rearend. The ZZ4 is supposed to be making about 350 lbft. at 2500rpm. It seems to have tons of torque at launch, I can boil the tires at launch and at the 1-2 the car will nearly get side to side from tire spin on any surface that is even slightly slick and bark the tires solidly on rough asphalt.
So performance wise I guess it is working pretty good. The car is very drivable, but I do have to be careful on damp or slick streets, to keep from laying a nice patch just taking off in traffic. With all the torque the ZZ4 has would I have been better off with a convertor that had a lower stall?
Sounds like you got the right one to me. :) You might be able to go a little lower say 2000-2200 but don't think it would be worth the trouble. I have a 2800 stall in my Formula with a 700r4 and 3.73 gear, talk about roastin the tires.

:party:
Old 10-09-2003, 11:44 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Sounds right to me :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Do I have the right torque convertor?

Quick Reply: Do I have the right torque convertor?