C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spindle Knockers

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 10:26 PM
snakey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spindle Knockers

Hi all,

I'm attempting to rebuild my rear bearings and trailing arms. I know I should send the bearing assemblies out, but I love to do things myself. Before I spring for a press (4 , 6, 20 ton) I'm going to try a spindle knocker. I've read all the archives and haven't seen anyone mention the spindle knocker fitted for a air hammer. Has anyone tried this tool? I know its a risk as some spindles will not come out with any kind of knocker. My 1977 rear assemblies appear never to have been serviced but I got false confidence when the trailing arms and lower shock mounts came out within an hour! (Absolutely no trouble)

This forum is great. I never would have attempted this project without everyones input.

I'm sure there will be more questions to follow.

Thanks,
snakey
Old 10-08-2003, 11:24 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: I Like Knockers

I always use Knockers. I have all of the official tools and never use them any more. I seldom run in to one that I cant get off that way.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: I Like Knockers (wombvette)

The knocker is great for disassembling the unit, but not for re-assembly.

Any tool that uses the bearing rollers, cage, and seat as a pressure point is risking damage to the components. If you're definitely not going to re-use the bearings & seats... knock away.

I use a press and a piece of pipe over the spindle, pressing on the inner races of the bearings, and the rotor flange on the opposite end for re-assembly. I won't use the "spindle installer" because it also applies force to the rollers & seats as you draw the bearings onto the spindle.

If it's your own car, I suppose you can risk anything you want... but since I do these professionally, I don't take chances with my customers or friends cars. They appreciate my attention to detail.

Tom
Old 10-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Yeller81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I Like Knockers (Tom454)

What size threads do you need to put in a Knocker and what material to make it out of. I have access to a machine shop.
:steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Spindle Knockers

Quick Reply: Spindle Knockers