C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:00 PM
OkieVett
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift kit ?

Those of you who have installed a shift kit in the TH 400, do you recommend it to others. If so which one
Old 10-08-2003, 08:13 PM
bhmyers
Racer

Default Re: Shift kit ? (OkieVett)

B&M makes one that I installed, took about 2 hours , pretty easy.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

When I was looking to add a shift kit to my TH400 an overwhelming majority of people told me that the B&M kits were inferior to the TransGo kit. Thus I went with the TransGo Shift Reprogramming kit and couldnt be happier. Installation was a snap.
I bought it from these guys. Great Customer service. http://www.bulkpart.com
Old 10-09-2003, 12:31 PM
bhmyers
Racer

What did there include? Did you leave out 3 of the 6 bearings? Drill out the plate? The B&M Im not real happy with although it works, it dosent slam second real hard like I would like. It simply firmed up the shifts.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Default Re: Shift kit ? (bhmyers)

Let see if I can remember...
New pressure plate. Drill holes different sizes depending on shift firmness desired.
2 new gaskets.
New check *****. I cant remember the # of ***** that went back in. 3 maybe.
New Gasket
A bunch of other springs and such.
I have mine set to "Neck Snapper"
Sounds as though yours was simply a shift improver kit.

[Modified by Stewart's74, 12:47 PM 10/9/2003]
Old 10-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Shift kit ? (Stewart's74)

When I was looking to add a shift kit to my TH400 an overwhelming majority of people told me that the B&M kits were inferior to the TransGo kit. Thus I went with the TransGo Shift Reprogramming kit and couldnt be happier. Installation was a snap.
I bought it from these guys. Great Customer service. http://www.bulkpart.com
Stew is correct the Trans go shift improver kit is the way to go...Don't forget to install the tranny cooler while you are there :cheers:

[Modified by Alwyn678, 12:46 PM 10/9/2003]
Old 10-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

I'm curious, I put a Trans Go shift kit in my '97 T-Bird. (don't ask why, long story) All I know is now during w.o.t. or even heavy accelerations it
"barks" the tires between 1st & 2nd (w/ a 3.8 V6). It's cool until I'm in normal driving conditions which is 98% of the time, so during light to
moderate, or normal acceleration the car "jerks" of basically produces a serious jolt during the transition between 1st & 2nd. It quickly grew very old.
I'm curious if the same will happen if I add a Trans Go shift kit to my Vette's TH400. I know a kit like this belongs in my Vette before it does in my T-bird, but due to circumstances that didn't happen. The Vette currently shifts very smoothly during all accelerations and I find I enjoy being away from the normal acceleration "jolt" when I'm not driving my T-bird. Am I in for the same characteristics if I add a Trans Go to the Vette, or can that be compensated for without affecting the kit's effectiveness & the 400's performance?
Old 10-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Default Re: Shift kit ? (Corvette_fetish)

At WOT mine barks the tires. Neck snapper.
During normal driving, it just gives you a slight nudge.
I love it. Before the install, You couldnt feel shifts at all.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:32 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Shift kit ? (Corvette_fetish)

It quickly grew very old.
I'm curious if the same will happen if I add a Trans Go shift kit to my Vette's TH400. I know a kit like this belongs in my Vette before it does in my T-bird, but due to circumstances that didn't happen. The Vette currently shifts very smoothly during all accelerations and I find I enjoy being away from the normal acceleration "jolt" when I'm not driving my T-bird. Am I in for the same characteristics if I add a Trans Go to the Vette, or can that be compensated for without affecting the kit's effectiveness & the 400's performance?
I put the transgo kit in my TH400. It shifts a bit firmer than it used to, but not the "jolt" you speak of. It's difficult to get the 400 to shift very firmly without more work.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:24 PM
OkieVett
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the advice, the Trans Go it will be
Old 10-10-2003, 02:17 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

At WOT mine barks the tires. Neck snapper.
During normal driving, it just gives you a slight nudge.
I love it. Before the install, You couldnt feel shifts at all.
Mine is very docile if it is normal acceleration good crisp firm shifts........If you nail it you will at least bark the tires on the 1-2 and sometimes on the 2-3. :reddevil

[Modified by Alwyn678, 2:17 PM 10/10/2003]
Old 10-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

At WOT mine barks the tires. Neck snapper. During normal driving, it just gives you a slight nudge, I love it. Before the install, You couldnt feel shifts at all.
Yea, right now since the TH400 is stock I hardly feel the shifts, and it upshifts quickly from a full stop. That killed me on the drag strip. I have to manually shift it there.

I wouldn't mind a slight nudge during everyday mellow street driving in the Vette, but the serious jolt I receive in my T-bird during slow to moderate accelerations is VERY annoying to say the least. I had a racing transmission expert rebuild that 4R70W. When he was done he said it can now handle up to 600hp! Too bad my 3.8 V6 can only produce 160, lol. If you had not guessed, I had planned on racing my T-bird, but soon after I started upgrades (the shift kit) I realized I'd rather put my money into the Vette I'd been dreaming of since I was a teenager.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Shift kit ? (Jeff 6T9)

I put the transgo kit in my TH400. It shifts a bit firmer than it used to, but not the "jolt" you speak of. It's difficult to get the 400 to shift very firmly without more work.
Firm I could live with, and even appreciate, but that super "jolt" in both of my cars would drive me nuts! lol :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To Shift kit ?

Quick Reply: Shift kit ?