C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed filter in TH400- Not bad...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 11:31 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default Changed filter in TH400- Not bad...

Decided to change the filter in the TH400 before I put the BlueL36 away at the end of the month for the winter. Got a brass-screen SPX Filtran filter ($7.53) and cork-and-neoprene gasket ($1.10) along with a case of ATF fluid ($14 at Costco.) Used a flattened cardboard box and an old refrigerator basin pan for overflow. Made a catch pan out of a two-gallon laundry detergent container (cut off side, then when finished draining fluids- oil or ATF- can uncap side to poor into a milk jug to take to recycler.)

My tranny pan does not have a drain plug so I anticipated a messy job. However, wasn't quite as messy as I feared. Did get rid of some of my ratty tee-shirts (wife now happier.) Cleaned the pan with carb cleaner and cleaned the bolts with mineral spirits. Took care to keep exposed tranny clean and let it "drip dry" before I buttoned it up again (15 ft/lbs on bolts.) Did not do the "cooler line flush" to get more fluid out because the ATF I drained was not too discolored. Plus, I wanted to get out and about. Ended up replacing a gallon of ATF. Absolutely no leaks. And because it was a fairly easy job, and cheap, decided to wait until spring to drain the pan and flush from the line. At $10 for parts, will even replace the filter/gasket and pop for new cooler line hoses. Still have plenty of ATF left.

The shifts seem a bit smoother (at least that's what I want to believe) and I feel good knowing that the filter is new. If you haven't changed your tranny filter, do it! Just be aware that your fingers will smell like ATF fluid for the rest of the day no matter how many times you wash your hands.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:40 PM
bhmyers
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Changed filter in TH400- Not bad... (BlueL36)

congrads, not to bad of a job.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:54 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Changed filter in TH400- Not bad... (bhmyers)

Good job, everything went according to plan - especially no leaks. That is the problem I run into.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:24 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Changed filter in TH400- Not bad... (bigvette1)

Its not bad but I finally ended up purchasing a tranny pan that has a drain plug on it for the Turbo 400 I have in my 1968 Rally Sport Camaro.
Made things even easier!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Harv69
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Changed filter in TH400- Not bad... (James)

Bluel36, What year is yours? I gotta change out the fluid on my 81 (stock automatic) And was wondering how difficult it would be??
Old 10-08-2003, 03:43 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Changed filter in TH400- Not bad... (Harv69)

You should have dropped in a Trans Go shift improver kit while you were there :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Changed filter in TH400- Not bad...

Quick Reply: Changed filter in TH400- Not bad...