C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoods stuck...tried the tricks....still stuck ---AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 07:15 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Hoods stuck...tried the tricks....still stuck ---AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OK guys I need some help before I break out the jigsaw and cut the hood off.
I was trying to align the new hood yesterday (last night) and doing as per the instructions did one hood lock at a time (drivers side). I got it set up so the male and female where in line and I pushed down, went smooth and click it locked. Cool i thought, until I pulled the release lever and nothing happened :mad
So I pulled a bit harder and pulled on the hood, still nothing. So I had the wife pull the release lever while I pulled on the hood...the release lever comes of in the wifes hand (guess the little wire stop came off)
So I take off the side pipe cover and the splash guard at the bottom of the fender and reached up and moved the latch by hand, the wife still could not move the hood.
I then pulled away the weatherstripping around the ledge of the hood and using a screwdriver pushed down on the lever, stilll woudln't release (not to mention that one of the screws sheared on the wiper door when I was taking it off :mad )
So I go upstairs (its now 11.30 last night) and I go to post this message on the forum and the forum is giving me error messages left and right :(
So anyone have any ideas? I gpresume th emale pin is binding on the hood latch or actual hood itself, so is it a case of just wiggling it until it frees?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Nick
Old 10-08-2003, 07:31 AM
C3 - 81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hoods stuck...tried the tricks....still stuck ---AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (lvrpool32)

Play it cool and don't wreck the car. :steering:
Old 10-08-2003, 08:03 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Hoods stuck...tried the tricks....still stuck ---AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (lvrpool32)

Don't know what year you have, but when I had the same problem with my '69, I discovered that I could reach the bolts on the hinges from under the front of the car - I loosened all 4 and was able move the hood around while actuating the release and got it free.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:05 AM
pdgourno
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

On a 1980 the passenger side lever needs to be pushed down with a short screwdriver to release both sides. There is a rubber plug about and inch and and half in diameter near the wiper arm you pop out. Insert the screwdriver and push down the release lever. Flashlight helps.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:35 AM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Hoods stuck...tried the tricks....still stuck ---AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (pdgourno)

There is a good post on this problem a few weeks ago which included pictures.

You go through the wiper well as stated above with a long screwdriver. I remember on the drivers side once you get the tool in the latch apply pressure to the right and up. Good luck! :)
Old 10-08-2003, 09:46 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Thanx for all the replies guys.......my car is a 69, so I think I have to try the unbolting the hood hinges route as I have pretty much tried everything else...not quite sure how you can get up at the hood hinge bolts ...I guess I have to release the bolts to the hood, not to the fender?

cheers
Nick
Old 10-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tried to push down while someone is trying to pull the release wire? maybe the latch is so tight that it is stuck and you need to press down to relieve the pressure on it. Just a thought. Good luck. :banghead:
Old 10-08-2003, 04:46 PM
SJ70Shark
Burning Brakes

Location: The road is long and winding like a good mystery unfolding

I had a similar problem with my 70. I was ready for the sawzall as well. I loosened the hinge bolts at the front of the car and was able to wiggle it free. I don't think it matters if you pull from the fender or hood, just use which ever you can get a socket on. To re-align it I put some duct tape over the catches, and a little grease on the top of the pins. No way I was getting that bad boy stuck again!
Old 10-08-2003, 05:50 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :party:

I loosened the hinges and just wiggled the hud around and "pop" it came off.

I have decided that I am going to be the only Corvette in New York with no hood...this thing is too much work.....

thanx for all the help guys.

Nick
Old 10-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

nick,
you can still use the hood!
to adjust it tighten the bolts if the fenderwell and brake the ones on the hood just enough to be able to move the hood with it closed but not so that it moves on its own when its open....after you get it to open and close by just giving a little pull, open and crank the bolts back down on the hood
Mike
Old 10-09-2003, 01:09 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

OK try this:
Corvettefaq.comHood Cable snapped?: : I've got a '76 vette stingray and my hood release cable has broken, the passeneger side has turned loose but the driver's latch is still locked. I have gotten under the car but see no access to the drivers side latch, can you help me with any suggestions? : reply1: I've heard others talk about this...haven't had to use it yet on mine. There is a access hole in the wiper bay near the wipers (on each side)that allows you to reach the latch mechanism and pop it loose...you may have to remove a rubber plug that covers it.: reply2: It's happened to me. Take a long 12" or so screw driver and about 3" from the hood line you'll see a rubber gromet. Pop it out and stick the screw driver through and feel for the latch. once you;ve found it push forward on the latch, it should pop open after that.

And there's one at Mid America (website) with pix. Try: http://www.madvet.com/shop?store=1&c...236&frame=3852
which is they'r Tech Articles section for C3 and Pop Your Hood Not Your Cork . :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Hoods stuck...tried the tricks....still stuck ---AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Quick Reply: Hoods stuck...tried the tricks....still stuck ---AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH