C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fiberglass rear spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 01:16 PM
heng1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fiberglass rear spring

hi
i am looking for a new fiberglass rear leaf spring for my 79
i see there are many different strenghts and types
which is the best?
i figured a 340lb rear and grand touring springs in the front.
i would like the "trw"style with the wider ends, or is there a difference to replacement springs that are straight?
Old 10-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: fiberglass rear spring (heng1)

For all around driving 340 would be the best. There is no difference between the TRW spring and the VBP "straight" spring except that the TRW spring is cheaper $280 compared to $340
Old 10-07-2003, 07:03 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: fiberglass rear spring (heng1)

I have used VB's 315 and 340 rear springs and a TRW 315. By far I prefer the TRW rear spring. It seems to fit better with wider tires. The VB rubs the sidewall and the TRW does not. I had a very difficult time dealing with bouncing with the VB and tried several sets of rear shocks to get it right. I also had one VB rear spring break on me.
The TRW seems to ride more smoothly and has less bouncing. I take some comfort that it was designed by GM engineers in the late 70s for the 80-82 Vette.
The combo I like now is the TRW 315 in the rear and the VB front monospring on the softest setting. I run a 1 1/8" front bar and a 5/8" rear bar with these springs.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:13 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: fiberglass rear spring (flynhi)

I have used VB's 315 and 340 rear springs and a TRW 315. .... very difficult time dealing with bouncing with the VB and tried several sets of rear shocks to get it right.
So, what shocks did you settle on? I recently installed a TRW 315 and the rear end is a little soft when going over dips in the road.

Get notified of new replies

To fiberglass rear spring

Quick Reply: fiberglass rear spring