C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake caliper 'o-ring' seals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 11:52 AM
drs80vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake caliper 'o-ring' seals?

Replaced all four calipers and pads 4,000 miles ago. LR is leaking at pistons. I suspect runout since I do not notice a bearing issue. Just had rotors turned from 1.244 to around 1.215 to get them true. Some run out was found. Just working on rear two. Now back to the calipers. Do I rebuild or replace, $$$$. I've read about o-ring style seals. Are there kits available to convert mine or due you need to purchase calipers outfitted as such?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:59 AM
PRESSURERAT
Pro

Default Re: brake caliper 'o-ring' seals? (drs80vette)

I had a leak on a 'new' set of calipers from vette brakes. The tech guy told me to check to see if one of the pistons was 'cocked' in the bore at a SLIGHT angle. I though he was full of crap. When I checked it ,that actually was the problem!! They were only a couple of months old and the car sits most of the time. Check to see if this is what happened.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:54 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem with the VB version of O ring calipers is the "cocking" or misalignment mentioned.
I prefer the Zero Tolerance solution which includes a machined alum piston that cannot become cocked or crooked in the bore. I've been using them for about 5 years with no air pumping or other problems.

BTW, I have nothing against VB. In fact, I use many of their products and am happy with them.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:00 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I highly recommend the VBP o-ring kit. You can do both wheels in a little over an hour. It's one of the best things I've done for my car, as having crappy brakes is not fun :eek:

Go to my website. I have full instructions and pictures on how to O-ring your brakes.

:cheers:
Old 10-07-2003, 08:23 PM
drs80vette
Intermediate

Default Re: brake caliper 'o-ring' seals? (joeveto)

What is your web site url?
Where can I purchase the vbp kit? Thanks.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:02 PM
drs80vette
Intermediate

Default Re: brake caliper 'o-ring' seals? (joeveto)

Never mind, I found your site and vette brakes.com I think I will give this a shot.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:14 PM
Jay M
Drifting

I would also look into http://www.vettepartsonline.com They make the O-Ring kit that Zero Tollerance used to sell. http://www.vettepartsonline.com/63-8...components.php

These pistons require a lot of labor to install, but the assembled caliper is only $50 with exchange.

I have heard that the vette brakes o-ring piston is different and not as good. But I don't know why.

~Jay
Old 10-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can convert to O-rings with your current calipers. The kits come with the o-rings and new pistins and seals. I did mine with the VBP kit. its the best thing I ever did for my brakes. While there still not perfect, with respect to runout and all, I no longer have to bleed them every two weeks. The design of the o-ring kit and its function relieve much of the air pumping issue thats caused by runout in conjunction with the factory type lip seals. Definatly go for the o-ring kit from either VBP or Zero tollerance.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

A couple of years ago I purchased a set of o-rings and new seals for my car, I thought that I got them for Zip, but I can't find them listed in Zip's catalog. The point of this was whoever I bought them from called me after I placed the order and told me I needed to also buy the special pistons for the O-rings to work.
So, I ordered the parts installed them on my car and haven't had a problem since them. The pistons I recieved were different from the ones that were in my calipers, so there must have been custom cut for the o-ring seals.
I also shimmed my rear rotors when I did this job and got them to as close to zero runnout as I could, so I don't know which did the job, the oring seals or reducing runnout.

Get notified of new replies

To brake caliper 'o-ring' seals?

Quick Reply: brake caliper 'o-ring' seals?