C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would my core charge be different than what I paid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Why would my core charge be different than what I paid?

Bought two stainless steel zero tolerance o-ring rear calipers from Ecklers and paid $40 core charge each.

Received today a credit and the core charge each was reduced to $25 each with a notation "sale price". I checked the original order, the current core charges, etc. from their website and nowhere is there a "sale" going on that would (erroneously) result in a reduced core value. The only thing I can think of is the cores are not stainless steel o-ring, but rather the standard calipers you see on 82's.

Does this mean a reduced core value, or is Ecklers pulling a fast one?
Old 10-06-2003, 10:13 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Why would my core charge be different than what I paid? (Larry82)

Give them a call. I'm sure they'll explain or make right. I've had good experiences with them in the past.

The only thing I can see, however, is if your cores were not up to their standards, whatever that standard is.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:16 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If your cores had previously been sleeved, a lot of places won't accept them as a core. Some places just reduce the amount you get from them. That's usually in the fine print of the exchange agreement.
It seems to be really common in Corvette related parts from speciality parts dealers. Usually they'll claim the part is not in good enough shape to rebuild or use as an core. I've heard of it happening many times in the past.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:34 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Why would my core charge be different than what I paid? (Smokehouse69)

They seem to be saying that you normally get 40 bucks back but they were on sale at the time so you get only 25 bucks, give them a call a clear it up
Old 10-07-2003, 06:21 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Why would my core charge be different than what I paid? (MotorHead)

What a scam, that's quite a sale, lower the price but also lower the core refund. Where's the sale??? You're paying your own on sale profit.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:42 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Lets back up a second!! I thought Ecklers sold VBP, I wasn`t aware anyone sold sleeved calipers with Zero Tolerance pistons. ...redvetracr
Old 10-07-2003, 08:44 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Why would my core charge be different than what I paid? (Twin_Turbo)

They charge you a core charge of $40 each caliper. If your calipers have been sleeved before they only refund you $25 of the $40. If your calipers have never been sleeved they refund you the full $40. I think thats how they state it in their catalog. If you have catalog 2003 Spring/Summer it's on page 154 in the bottom left hand corner.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: Why would my core charge be different than what I paid? (redvetracr)

Lets back up a second!! I thought Ecklers sold VBP, I wasn`t aware anyone sold sleeved calipers with Zero Tolerance pistons. ...redvetracr
Thats what I was wondering! :iagree:
Old 10-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Why would my core charge be different than what I paid? (Sigforty)

Ecklers never owned VBP. They are 2 different companies. As far as the zero tolerance isue. I don't know what people advertise now-a-days.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Why would my core charge be different than what I paid? (Van Steel)

I'm not trying to cause a stink, trying to understand.

The core charge is $40 on zero-tolerance stainless steel calipers and $40 on "regular" ones.

So, I bought the zero tolerance ones and returned regular ones that were not in bad shape - in fact one was new, used only two months (don't ask!). Just wanted zero tolerance ones.

So, do not understand the deduction.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:58 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I am confused!! If Ecklers sells VBP (Vette Brakes) how did you buy Zero Tolerance o-ring pistons from Ecklers ??? VBP does NOT sell Zero Tolerance o-ring pistons (as far as I know) ONLY Zero Tolerance sells Zero Tolerance.
...redvetracr
Old 10-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Why would my core charge be different than what I paid? (redvetracr)

I did not mean Zero-tolerance, as in a name-brand product, which I did not know was a brand name, but rather an o-ringed caliper described on Eckler's site as follows:

"Patented design O-Ring pistons and seals last longer, resist leaking and help to eliminate cavitation. Ideal for show cars or infrequently driven Corvettes. Stainless steel sleeved and fully assembled with special o-ring type pistons, springs, seals, dust boots, o-rings, stainless steel bleeders and plugs. Limited lifetime warranty. Add $40.00 core charge per caliper."

This is too cornfusing

Get notified of new replies

To Why would my core charge be different than what I paid?

Quick Reply: Why would my core charge be different than what I paid?