C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Shark Attack
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes?

I am looking at a 2000 Hayabusa and a 02 R1 right now. Both are nice but I hear the R1 handles better than the Busa in the twisties while the Busa will outrun the R1 on the topend. Just curious as to who all here may ride sportbikes also.

Jerry
Old 10-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes? (Shark Attack)

I don't ride them.........yet. But, a lot of my buddies do. I personally like the R1's, in particular the one's with the blue and white paint scheme. That's what I'll buy when I do get one. I think you hit the nail on the head about the R1 handling better and the Hayabusa being the better runner, I'm pretty sure the Hayabusa also weighs considerably more than R1 too. I'd go for the R1, I've heard a lot of good things about them from people who have ridden them :cheers:
Old 10-06-2003, 07:34 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

The busa is a great street bike but not great in the twisties. The best sport bike out right now IMO is the GSXR 1000 it is an incredible machine that does it all well. It is extremely fast and handles great in the twisties . Another compromise is the new SV1000 which is and incredible bike that comes in naked and fairing form(s) My buddie just bought one and with the v-twin and injection it is a Fantastic rider good position and a great price for what you get. I just rode it 400 miles in the mountains yesterday :cheers:
Old 10-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Quinn_Seipp
Instructor

Default Re: OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes? (Alwyn678)

I ride a 2001 hayabusa, I currently have the engine ripped apart and am attempting to turbocharge it... I think I am going to kill myself. Have you ever ridden one before? I started out with a 600 cbr and moved my way up. I would go with the R1, going fast is fun but I think the R1 already goes plenty fast. I know if I could rechoose bikes I woudl got for the gixxer 1000 :yesnod:
Old 10-06-2003, 08:57 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

After not having a bike for several years I bought a BMW. Not it's not the usual touring bike, it's call a boxercup replika. It's a replica of their race series that runs before the motorcycle GP events.

I've owned the various Japanese brands over the years but wanted something different.
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machin...s_replika_2004

Dave
Old 10-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Shark Attack
Advanced

Default Re: OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes? (Quinn_Seipp)

I ride a 2001 hayabusa, I currently have the engine ripped apart and am attempting to turbocharge it... I think I am going to kill myself. Have you ever ridden one before? I started out with a 600 cbr and moved my way up. I would go with the R1, going fast is fun but I think the R1 already goes plenty fast. I know if I could rechoose bikes I woudl got for the gixxer 1000 :yesnod:
i rode a gsxr1100 for a while and liked the way it handled but, and it was probably just that bike, it seemed very lacking in the power dept. I raced a CR500 in Alask for years and ofcourse a 2stroke has no problem getting a wheel up, but the 1100 I was riding did. I gues im really trying to find the best of both worlds. Handeling the twisties and still raping the quarter mile. I know you give one for another but a nice comprimise is what im looking for.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:55 PM
Doug70vert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a proud owner of a silver/black '02 R1. The bike is sweet. The busa is a bigger bike which really hauls but is comfortable too. The R1 leaves you out in the wind a little more but has plenty of power. I think the R1 actually is quicker in the 60 to 80 top gear roll on test which is what alot of your street driving is like. The busa has a huge top speed but most of us lack the space or guts to test it. R1 = 10.05 @ 145 plenty quick and it turns too.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:09 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes? (Doug70vert)

Personally i think the hayabusas are ugly, i like all the other ones out there, just not the hayabusa. Most speed bikes are crazy fast and you really dont have anywhere to get to their full potential, even if you did it would not be very safe anyways(how many of you would go 190mph in your 4 wheeled vette let alone a 2 wheeled bike.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:12 AM
79Corvette02
Le Mans Master

I think you're all deranged! Both of those bikes are pure insanity, and I've declined an offer a few times to ride my friends R1, because I honestly don't know how I'd handle the power or if I could trust myself enough to be responisble. That is however, just my take. I believe the R1 to be the all around better bike, with a better handling prowess, and the 'Busa to be a straight line monster. Just my two cents. :cheers:
Old 10-07-2003, 08:19 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whichever one you get, be veeeeeeery careful. My bro-in-law got killed 3 years ago on a Yamaha 600.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 10-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes? (Brettmc)

I ride an 01 Triumph TT 600. My frst bike and I love it. I have the Caspien Blue color. It's not the top of the line or anything like the Busa or R1 or GSXR but it suits me just fine.
http://www.lumic.de/triumph/600_tt.html
Old 10-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

By the way how long have you been riding? Cause if it is not for at least a few years on the street(not talking dirt bikes here) you have no business on any of these bikes and you will probably end up hurting yourself
Old 10-07-2003, 08:59 AM
tjl5709
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My question for you would be, have you ever owned a performance cycle?

I went from a 500 => 750 => then to a 1000. Any of the bikes in the 1 liter class are beyond the scope of most people, and will get you into trouble very, very fast. My 90 FZR1000 is still a very capable bike, and it's 13 years old. I could not even imagine a current generation bike. Even the current 600's are close to running what my 1000 does.

Be careful................
Old 10-07-2003, 09:32 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Whichever one you get, be veeeeeeery careful. My bro-in-law got killed 3 years ago on a Yamaha 600.

Brett :thumbs:
That’s the exact reason why I would NEVER get on a street bike. Not that I doubt my riding ability but there are too many idiots in SUV's for me. Now a dirt bike is a whole different story.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:36 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I ride a 2001 Yamaha FZ1. It's not as pretty as the full tilt torture rack sport bikes but it is a really good all around standard/naked bike with 140 hp at the crank (120 hp at the wheel), wicked stout brakes, fully adjustable suspension, upright sitting position, good fuel capacity/range, etc.
There are many excellent sport bikes to choose from. Just get one that fits your needs best.
As they say, "There are two kinds of riders, those who have crashed and those who are going to crash!". Be ready for when the time comes. Wear your gear.
Check out this link for pictures from a recent 200+ mile ride with wolf pack of 9 really nice sport bikes. We had a BLAST! http://ImageEvent.com/tlsdoug/bikeri...tocranfillsgap
:cheers:
Old 10-07-2003, 11:29 AM
jac1502
Racer

Default Re: OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes? (MIKER)

I ride a 2001 Yamaha r6, I have had several bikes through the years and in my opinion if you want a bike that truly handles well around twisties a smaller bike is the way to go (unless you’re a bigger guy). True you won’t have the acceleration, but the handling of a lighter bike is amazing. All and all if those are you’re your choices go with the R1. Happy choosing :cheers:
Old 10-07-2003, 12:26 PM
69Rat
Racer

Yeah, I've been riding sportbikes for about 12yrs now, and motorcycles in general for 33 yrs.. since I was 6.
I've owned
74 Honda 750
84 Honda Magna v-45
94 Susuki Katana GSX750
98 Honda CBR-1100XX Blackbird

I own a 2002 Hayabusa myself right now. I've ridden the R1, as well as most of the other sportbikes out there. I run with a fairly large group of guys, and we all seem to like different bikes.
Which to buy really depends on what type of riding you like to do. Myself.. I do 80% cruising.. and 20% zipping around. The Busa is fast, stable, comfortable, and I've never been left in the twisties by any bike! Plus, on the longer flat sections, I'm not as sore as the other guys on the sportier models.

If I had my wish.. I'd have the Busa for everyday use.. and the GSXR-1000 for true hyper-romping!! :reddevil

Like I said.. I've pretty much ridden them all.. and I wouldn't trade my busa for ANY bike!!

Get notified of new replies

To OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes?

Old 10-08-2003, 12:28 PM
OnlyC3-4me
Advanced

Well, not a sport bike. My stable consists of;
1987 Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster (Wifes, now sold)
1991 Harley-Davidson Electra-Glide Ultra Classic. (recently sold..)
2004 Harley-Davidson Low Rider :cool:
Not that I slam sport bikes at all. They have awesome power and chassis. I'm just a little different. Not that it's a bad thing! :flag
Old 10-08-2003, 12:52 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes? (OnlyC3-4me)

Given the choice purely between the busa & the R1 I'd take the R1. Opinion is based on friends still into sports bikes (most of us have realised that there's more than out & out top speed for having fun on a bike). Just after Busas came out we were hearing that they had suspect handling at high speed. A friend with one found out for himself at 150mph. I can't remember if it only happened with a pillion, or with a head/cross wind, or whatever, but it scared him enough to sell it. I guess that the handling has been sorted out by now? Even if it handles brilliantly, the consensus amoung the nutters I know is that the R1 is excellent as an all round bike.
Whatever you pick, be careful. And do us a favour, post here in a couple of years & let us know what bike you've got! Just being curious, as most people I know that had to have the fastest bikes on the road (Jotas with Turbos, race tuned Mirages, GSXR11's tuned so much that they wouldn't run well until 100mph, Blades, etc) have sold them & now ride mid-range bikes for scratching around the back roads, or cruisers or..... loads of them have bought Harleys!!!!
:cheers:
Old 10-08-2003, 01:13 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes? (UKPaul)

I only ride rice rockets. I can't ride a Harley because I like to take showers!:)

But anyway I used to think that 750's and the lighter 1000's were the only way to go. Less than 750 600cc requires constant shifting and they don't have the TQ to keep up on the steep mountian grades. Being a Honda man I really liked the 929's. Easy to ride fast. but then when it comes to drag racing the 1100+ cc motors are the only way to go.

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone here ride Sportbikes?