C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Guage doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Justin79-L-82
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Guage doesn't work

I've had problems with my gas guage saying my tank is empty when it has half a tank left (the light whould come on ever so often) not a big deal, but last week, when the needle was on E i put almost a full tank in and the needle didn't move, and it hasn't moved since, doesn't matter how much i drive it or how much i fill it up. What is the problem here? Fuel sending unit, the guage itself?
Old 10-06-2003, 06:53 PM
LT-1 Larry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Gas Guage doesn't work (Justin79-L-82)

Could be several thngs. Easiest to fix, and very likely, is the ground between the sending unit and the frame. On my '71, this is over where the radio antenna shield grounds to the frame by the driver's side muffler. Clean it up really good. Could also be the sending unit. Disconnected, it should give you about 90 ohms at full and near 0 empty. There can be other things too which I don't know about. I say this because I've cleaned the ground, replaced the sending unit and replaced the gage. Still empty all the time. Not much left in the system to check out. :confused: Anyone else know af a gremlin I've missed?? Good luck.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:02 AM
JOliver
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Gas Guage doesn't work (LT-1 Larry)

wiring or sending unit these gas gauges VERY rarely go bad unless someone hooks them up incorrectly and smokes them.

VETTEINSTRUMENTS@AOL.COM
Jason
Old 10-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Re: Gas Guage doesn't work (JOliver)

Disconnect the wires at the sending unit. Turn the key on and if the gauge in the dash goes over full it is working. Then you have a bad sending unit.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Guage doesn't work

Quick Reply: Gas Guage doesn't work