C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I remove my heater core and blower motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Should I remove my heater core and blower motor?

The heat hasn't worked as long as I've owned the car. I don't plan on ever making it work. I was going to plug the holes in the manifold and waterpump that went through the heater core. Now I'm thinking that I'll just go under the dash and remove the core so that it's not sticking through the firewall. If I do that, I might as well get rid of the blower motor assembly and further clean up the engine bay...
What-da-ya-think? Any issues with doing this? Anyone done it?
Old 10-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Should I remove my heater core and blower motor? (Scooter70)

Was your car an A/C car? If so, it will be a real pain in the azz to get the heater core out. You have to 2/3rds of the dash out. The passenger side and the center gauge cluster, then you have to remove the heater box and all the ducts, just to get to the heater core.
Now if your car never had A/C then it is a piece of cake. Just go under the hood and remove the blower motor and the heater core cover. Only about 7 small hex head bolts. Then pull the core out. Fab yourself an metal plate out of aluminum and bolt it flush to the firewall. Paint it black and it looks good!
If it is an A/C car, do yourself and the next owner a favor, put in a new core, it is such a PITA that no one ought to have to do that job more than one time.
Cores aren't that expensive.

[Modified by Smokehouse69, 4:01 PM 10/6/2003]
Old 10-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Should I remove my heater core and blower motor? (Scooter70)

Matt

On cool evenings the windsheild can fog up and without a heat source you are sol.

BTW the iron headed 383 pig is alive and still kicking with tons of low end torq. :cheers:

[Modified by Fevre, 4:02 PM 10/6/2003]
Old 10-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Should I remove my heater core and blower motor? (Fevre)

Matt

On cool evenings the windsheild can fog up and without a heat source you are sol.

BTW the iron headed 383 pig is alive and still kicking with tons of low end torq. :cheers:

Chris-
That's cool! My motor is ready to come out next weekend. Grad school and work are seriously getting in the way of working on my car lately.....

Anyway, the blower motor in my car hasn't worked in the almost 10 years that I've owned the car and I haven't missed it yet, so I think the core and blower are going to come out. If someone wants to put them back someday, they can worry about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I remove my heater core and blower motor?

Quick Reply: Should I remove my heater core and blower motor?