C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Camber adjustment help

Old 10-06-2003, 04:49 PM
tzavaleta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Camber adjustment help

The suspension in my '74 is completely rebuilt (poly-graph, etc.)

I'm doing a home alignment to get the car on the road (and to the alignment shop). I drove a little to make sure the tires had settled and i couldn't believe the degree (the driver in particular) negative camper the front wheel was showing. I took out all but the thinnest (.03) shims and this helped, but it's still leaning in (maybe an 1/2 inch or so). I'm not sure if my driveway is level, but my magnetic level showed nearly 3 degrees.

Is there anything i can do to get it further? Shims are the only way i know to do it.

-thomas

Old 10-07-2003, 01:23 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Front Camber adjustment help (tzavaleta)

Sounds like there may be something wrong there. There should be enough adjustment to achieve positive camber. You could use aftermarket offset shafts.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:00 AM
tzavaleta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Front Camber adjustment help (wombvette)

Sounds off to me too. But it's a stock suspension. I've replaced everything (meant to be replaced) bushings, ball joints, etc. Yet i don't see WHAT could be off by this far?

no one else has had this kind of problem?
Old 10-07-2003, 01:11 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

The only adjustment is with the shims. It sounds like you haven't removed all of the shims. Why not? You only need about 1/2 degree on neg camber. If you can't get that with removing shims then I think something else is wrong.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:22 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Front Camber adjustment help (burners)

Toe and camber can go hand in hand. It you toe is way out the camber will be almost impossible to get in. Check it out.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:23 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

OK, time for an edjemakation same as I got from Pete79L82 and Norval here....times to learn how to do your own wheel alignment...there are several links if not outright posting on instructions just how to do this right in your own concrete floor garage....first off you need a good carpenter's level, since I am one, I have two...the 4 footer, good for using on a steel bar carefully set up from side to side where you want to put the front and rear wheels...next you need level front to back on both sides....
then 4 jack stands to run fishing line between, and doen the sides of the car....then you make sure they are set properly off the wheel centers, for spacing....then you measure the rims off that fishing line...that gives you the toe in/out....front or rear, then you adjust the caster/camber by measuring with some spacers attached to a 2' level...held against the wheel rim....

when you put the car on spacers....2x8 or whatever thickness you need for perfectiion on level square for the car sitting....you can do just as good and probably BETTER a job as the hurried kid on the wheel alignment machine....especially if the machine is not calibrated/handled correctly....I seen alignment shops ship sh it that is just unimagineable....plainly sloppy/crooked work....

GENE
Old 10-08-2003, 02:33 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Another thing I though of is that when you pull out the shims of the upper A-arm, if you do not rock the car slightly side to side and retighten the bolts you are not back to square one.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Camber adjustment help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Camber adjustment help