C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Replacement Completed

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 12:58 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Power Steering Replacement Completed

I took the '80 out on some short trips and made final fluid adjustments this weekend. The leak that I was experiencing at the control valve is now about a drip every two days and I'll be keeping an eye on it (tighten one more time). The fluid level is stable.

Now for the steering wheel feel: The car turns incredibly easy now! I had no idea how power steering in a vette is supposed to be. It now turns so easy, I can turn the wheel effortlessly; I've already over-corrected 2-3 times. The steering is crisp and responsive. I think I drove with a failing/ineffective power steering system since purchase in '97.

For anybody interested, I bought the PS pump for $100 and the $229 Kit that includes two bottles of fluid, the 4 hoses, control valve and slave cylinder from Vette Brakes and Products with a 5-year warranty. Very pleased with the results.

Now to finish 2003 with replacement of my leaky intake manifold gasket (oil getting into combustion chambers... I forgot to dope up the intake manifold gasket surfaces when I installed my DART heads). I'm planning to 'Kick off 2004' with a front trailing arm bushings replacement. That will 'COMPLETE' my suspension and driveline refresh/rebuild that started the day I got the car in '97.

THEN, I will begin gradual interior refurbishing in 2004 beginning with the major project items of: dashboard and heater&a/c vacuum line refurbishing, inner door rebuilds, seat buckets rebuild, rear storage compartment replacement, seat re-covering and carpet. The rest I am going to re-cover or re-paint (door panels, plastic trim pieces and misc metal pieces).

NOTE: IMO, the body is near-perfect. No re-paint planned or expected until later in this decade (if even then).

Lots of fun! :seeya

[Modified by TedH, 1:01 PM 10/6/2003]
Old 10-06-2003, 03:11 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Replacement Completed (TedH)

Did the kit come already centered? Did you do it on your back or on a lift? Not too bad of a job?
Old 10-06-2003, 03:33 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Replacement Completed (mvftw)

I believe the kit was already centered as it did not exhibit any behavioral problems once installed. I let the system set about a week as I added the fluid and diagnosed leaks. That may have helped some (allowing the fluid to work its way through the lines.

I put the front end up on jack stands and performed the procedure on my back. Pretty messy as the system had pretty much failed and leaked like a siev (sp.). I used an air-powered impact driver to separate the pitman arm from the control valve and the slave cylinder from the suspension linkage. That was the hardest part (figuring out that a hammer and pickel fork wouldn't do the job).

If you replace the PS pump, remember to keep your pulley, cap and the two 'studs' that screw into the back of the pump housing; the rebuilt units don't include them. I spent $21 on a PS pulley puller. New pulley (if you get the right press-on pulley that doesn't include a keyway) is about $35 from Zip.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Replacement Completed

Quick Reply: Power Steering Replacement Completed