C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Frame Straightness

Old 10-06-2003, 12:18 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking Frame Straightness

I'm just about ready to send my frame out for dipping, after which it will be welded and gusseted. Before I spend the money on doing this, I want to make sure the frame is straight. (There is some evidence of an accident on the passenger front wheel well) My question is this: What is the best way to do this? Should I take the frame to a shop and have it checked there? Is this something I can do well enough at home?
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:02 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Checking Frame Straightness (75 BBC Stingray)

I had my 72 frame checked shortly after buying the car. The frame shop will sight in all the important set points and give you a print out of the findings. If anything needs a tweak, they can do it there. I don't recall the exact cost of the check, but I thought it was very resonable.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:20 PM
fireball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Checking Frame Straightness (75 BBC Stingray)

I did this at home in the garage. The assembly manual show 4 points on the underside of the frame to measure from. I put the car up on jackstands, and used a pendulum type weight attached to a string as the pointer. Hold the string up to the mark on the frame, let the weight down until it touches the floor, and mark the point. Do this at all corners as shown in the assembly manual. Now measure the distance between all the marks, including the diagonals, and make sure they are exactly the same.

Get notified of new replies

To Checking Frame Straightness

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Checking Frame Straightness