C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Rat Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:49 AM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Painted Rat Motor

I finished painting the Engine.
Here are a couple of before and after pictures.

I used 500 degree chevy orange engine enamel for the top and the front. For areas around the exhaust manifold I used 900 degree VHT caliper paint in real orange. The color was almost an exact match to the chevy orange. It was just a shade redder than the orange I was using so just before it dried I misted it with the chevy orange. After everything was spray painted I hit all the areas that the spray could not get to with a brush (even the back of the block). I sprayed paint into an old plastic yogurt container and let it sit over night to thicken. If I needed it a little thinner then I sprayed more thin paint into the container.

After it dried for 24 hours I cured it with a heat gun.

I didn't paint the valve covers yet. One of the previous owners used the valve covers as a fulcrum to tighten the A/C and alternator belts, so I have to remove them and bang out the dents before they are painted.

The Engine bay is next. I cut the mask at the edge of the engine bay and folded the inside mask over the engine block. Then I added more paper and re-taped all of the edges.

More to come latter
David :party:
Old 10-06-2003, 10:07 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Painted Rat Motor (GATOR454)

Looking good :thumbs: :thumbs: :cheers:
Old 10-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Painted Rat Motor (BB wowbagger)

a can of orange paint exploded there LOL :D

Good job :thumbs:

Is that balancer still okay? from the pics it appears the inertia ring has slipped and the balancer and is not flush with the front of the balancer center anymore, if so it needs to be replaced.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:41 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Painted Rat Motor (Twin_Turbo)

Is that balancer still okay? from the pics it appears the inertia ring has slipped and the balancer and is not flush with the front of the balancer center anymore, if so it needs to be replaced.
Good eye! That balancer is definitely not right--the outer ring has shifted back, so really need to replace it or have it rebuilt, since not only is it not doing its job of dampning harmonic resonance (which is hard on your bearings), it could fly apart and really screw some things up. If you decide to have it rebuilt, I know a guy who does that.

JB
Old 10-06-2003, 11:21 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: Painted Rat Motor (GATOR454)

impressive..thats going to look nice and clean when finished...be sure to post final pics! :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Painted Rat Motor

Quick Reply: Painted Rat Motor