C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight switch.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 11:50 AM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headlight switch.

Ok, I saw the posts about pressing the button to realease the ****. I have two switches one brand new, and the other old. Neither of them realease the ****. What am I doing wrong? How is the switch supposed to be attached to the dash pad?

--marc
Old 10-03-2003, 12:11 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Headlight switch. (BigBadOrange)

You have to pull the **** all the way out, then push the button. If you push the button, then pull it out it won't work.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:15 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Default Re: Headlight switch. (markdtn)

Thanks!!!! And by looking at my assembly manual I found that I am still missing 2 pieces, the strap and the nut. Any body got one?

PS is it just me, or is the assembly manual completely random as to where you find stuff. Dash assembly/wiring seems to be in 4 different spots with no appparent rhyme or reason. :crazy:
Old 10-03-2003, 12:33 PM
73ragtop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headlight switch. (BigBadOrange)

Here's the step by step, although you may only need to know what most people don't know: you have to pull the headlamp control switch **** all the way out to "On" before you depress the **** on the switch to remove it.

Anyway, here's the whole procedure:

1. Access to the switch is obtained by first removing the mast jacket trim covers in order to reach the instrument panel mounting bracket.
2. Unclip and remove the left-hand side console forward trim panel.
3. Lower the steering column.
4. Remove the screws that secure the left-hand instrument panel.
5. Pull the instrument cluster downward and then tip it forward to obtain access to the lighting switch.
6. Pull the headlamp control switch **** to On.
7. Depress the switch shaft retainer and then remove the **** and shaft assembly.
8. Remove the switch retaining nut and the switch itself from the instrument panel.
9. Mark the headlight vacuum hoses so they can be reconnected in their original positions, then disconnect them.
10.Disconnect the electrical connector from the headlight switch and install it to your new switch.
11.Installation of new switch is the reverse of the removal steps.

Be careful the first time you do this. You can break wires, unplug bulbs, and do all kinds of mischief to other hidden things behind your dash. After you succesfully do this one time, you will be able to do it again in 1/3 the time. Although not really necessary, if you are of any size or age, it may help to remove the driver's seat first. Also, this job is a PIA if you wear bifocals.

Some people try to do this by popping the upper dash pad out and accessing the switch from above, but many dashes are cracked by doing so. Unless someone has removed and replaced the dash pad in the past, there is a large bolt right behing your center air conditioning vents that holds the dash pad down. From looking at the assembly manual, it appears that the dash pad is put in place first, then the rest of the car is built around it.

This is not a fun job, and I recommend you pay a sixteen year old to help you and follow your instructions.

Eddie
Old 10-03-2003, 01:12 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Default Re: Headlight switch. (73ragtop)

Thanks for the complete explanation. I am mid process of replacing the entire dash and center. My car was gutted. I appears that whoever owned it before me did everything you said. Broke the upper dash, broke the lower pad unplugged bulbs (actually, ripped the wire out of the socket) etc etc. my dash must have been apart many times because I am missing lots of little pieces (like the nut and the strap for the headlight switch)

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight switch.

Quick Reply: Headlight switch.