C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken brake bleeder removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 11:10 PM
blunsford
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken brake bleeder removal

Anyone got any great ideas on how to remove broken brake bleeders? The only idea I have is to use an easy-out.

Is this a lost cause or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:35 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Broken brake bleeder removal (blunsford)

I'd try the easy out.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:46 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Broken brake bleeder removal (79VetteMike)

Easy Outs aren't "easy", and they've NEVER taken anything "out" for me. :) I usually break them, then am faced with drilling out the case hardened steel.

You can heat the bleeder....try to wiggle it with vice grips, etc. You can try PB Blaster, etc. You can carefully try to drill it out, but if you "booger" the threads, or more importantly "booger" the seat, the caliper is trash. Chuck
Old 10-03-2003, 09:01 AM
blunsford
Racer

Default Re: Broken brake bleeder removal (Chuck Gongloff)

What's PB Blaster? The calipers are trash anyway if I don't get the bleeders out. Doesn't anyone make a decent bleeder screw that won't seize or break? These friggin calipers are only 4 years old.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:17 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PB Blaster is penetrating oil, comes in a spray can. Works great, can get it at any automotive store.

Another method you might try...remove the caliper, hit the surrounding area with a torch to break the rust loose, doesn't have to be red hot. If you can get vice grips on it, then use the grips, if not, try the easy out but don't twist it to a point the easy out will break. You will know right away if the bleeder will budge or not. If the bleeder doesn't budge use more heat.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:28 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Broken brake bleeder removal (GDaina)

I've been lucky and have been able to take two broken bleeders out by drilling. Start out small and eventually to one size less than the hole counting the threads. It seems what happens, when you start drilling away material, the thin part of whats left seems to loose it's grip and starts "spinning" out with the drill. As Chuck said above, do this super carefully, don't booger the threads and you'll get it out, use patience and swear words-NO TOOL THROWING :lolg:
Old 10-03-2003, 09:29 AM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

All the suggestions are pretty much SOP. There is one more trick I have had to resort to before. Heat the bolt/surrounding area with a torch (not to red) and get a candle. Melt the wax on the hot metal around the thread area. As the metals cool it should suck in a little bit of the wax. The bolt should turn right out with a pliers or Vise Grips.

That being said, I broke 1 bleeder screw in all of my working on crap so far. I got a new caliper. twisted clean flush with the caliper. Once the EZ break well, broke, I threw the caliper away. Good luck, hope it works for you. Those FUD calipers were a little cheaper at the junkyard for me than vette will be for you, so you probably will try longer. :smash: :smash: :cheers:
Old 10-03-2003, 03:34 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Broken brake bleeder removal (boredsoIstrokedit)

Not worth the drama of trying to salvage. I had a bleeder break then not long after that the caliper casting cracked. Turned them in at autozone for some fresh remanufactureds. :auto:

Get notified of new replies

To Broken brake bleeder removal

Quick Reply: Broken brake bleeder removal