C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A.I.R. Pump removal ('75)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 06:12 PM
HDFLH67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A.I.R. Pump removal ('75)

My 75 has the original exhaust (!), or what's left of it, intact. The mufflers and catalytic convertor are beyond wasted. I'd like to go to a true dual exhaust, since pollution testing is not required on "classic" cars here anymore. I'd also remove the AIR pump if adviseable. Other than originality, any deterrents to removal?

Can someone refer me to a source, or advise me on how to reroute the hoses associated with the AIR pump and the exhaust manifold?

Thanks as always in advance!
Old 10-02-2003, 06:19 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: A.I.R. Pump removal (HDFLH67)

remove air pump, air pump bracket, diverter valve / all assocated hoses.
Plug holes where hoses were.

Are you going with headers?

From the exhaust manifold remove the heat riser. Most likey done when new exhaust is installed.

I have been thinking of doing the same. But I still have to pass emissions still. I think I can get classic plates with 1 more emissions test. Then no more testing, only renewal.

I did notice that without the AIR system there was a slight increase in exhaust smell in the cabin. I believe a little carb tuning and that might have been resolved. :cheers:
Old 10-03-2003, 12:39 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A.I.R. Pump removal (HDFLH67)

:iagree: what he said.
If you're going duals, get headers! That will remove the hassle of plugging existing manifolds too! Go with min 2.5" exhaust.
Air pump should bring good resale $$, as some must use it, and others use it for originality. :cool:
Since you're doing the work, invest in a service manual!!
Old 10-03-2003, 02:24 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: A.I.R. Pump removal (ROD NOCK)

If you stick with the stock manifolds, disconnecting the AIR pipes is easy. Just remove them, and inside where the pipes threaded in are some smaller tubes, in the manifold. Use a screwdriver to pull them out, or a magnet. Once those are out you can plug the holes with pipe thread plugs from the local hardware store. They usually have a square top to them. Use anti-seize when you put them in.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: A.I.R. Pump removal (BSeery)

Since '75 & '76 just has that ONE A.I.R. hose that goes into the right side exhaust just below the heat riser, '75 & '76s are the simplest ones to do. My '75 is set up this way. I have a true dual '74 style 2 & 1/2" stainless set that's been on the car since '90 from Allen's Stainless Exhaust, and it's still mint. Comes apart nicely too when you have to take it apart. The third pulley out from the waterpump(for your A.I.R. belt)is stacked on a double pulley and can easily be removed too. My '75 has no EFE, A.I.R., heat riser, catalytic converter, fuel tank bladder or fresh air door under the power bulge. It's actually a pretty simple '75 L-82 automatic(now), the way I like 'em :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To A.I.R. Pump removal ('75)

Quick Reply: A.I.R. Pump removal ('75)