C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Coil Spring Removal

Old 10-02-2003, 04:02 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Front Coil Spring Removal

I am planning to start a complete front end rebuild/restoration. Does anyone have any tips on removing the stock coil springs and any other tips?? Thanks in advance!
:cheers:
Old 10-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Front Coil Spring Removal (l2vette)

I asked this some time ago, and got some great tips. Check it out:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=453838

:cheers:
-Pedro
Old 10-02-2003, 05:14 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Front Coil Spring Removal (Pedro'74)

Really easy, use a chain to secure the spring to the upper arm, then put a jack under the lower one and jack up the car a bit so the tension is off the spindle. Then unbolt the upper nut (not the lower, much harder to remove since it's under the arm) and lower the jack, CAREFULLY as the spring will try to jump out all of a sudden. This is why you have to make sure it's secrued properly with a chain.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:51 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Front Coil Spring Removal (Twin_Turbo)

Really easy, use a chain to secure the spring to the upper arm, then put a jack under the lower one and jack up the car a bit so the tension is off the spindle. Then unbolt the upper nut (not the lower, much harder to remove since it's under the arm) and lower the jack, CAREFULLY as the spring will try to jump out all of a sudden. This is why you have to make sure it's secrued properly with a chain.
:confused: :confused: :confused: Why not use a coil spring compressor? After all, that's what they they were made for...take the shock out, slide the coil compressor inside the coil, position the arms, compress the coil, remove either the upper or lower A arms. Been using a coil compressor ever since I was a teen, working on my 57 Chev.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:59 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Front Coil Spring Removal (GDaina)

I found that the internal coil spring compressor was not locally available.
I didn't want to wait - so I used the floorjack and a big mother rope instead
of a chain. Piece of cake - but I was going to use a compressor if I had one.
Oh - I also left the shock in place when I popped the ball joints - just in case.
:seeya

[Modified by NHvette, 10:01 PM 10/2/2003]
Old 10-02-2003, 10:01 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Front Coil Spring Removal (l2vette)

I did it the easy way. Can do both front springs in about an hour or so. But, be safe and do it right. I can be reckless when there is no one around.
http://home.hvc.rr.com/joesvette/coilsprings.htm

Old 10-02-2003, 11:12 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Front Coil Spring Removal (78Vette-SA)

Be carefull with those internal coil spring compressors, because of the angle of the spring the arms can start spinning and let go, happened twice on me on two different occasions, luckily both times the spring was still inside the a arms.
Kinda scared to do it again now :eek:
Old 10-02-2003, 11:35 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Front Coil Spring Removal (MotorHead)

Be carefull with those internal coil spring compressors, because of the angle of the spring the arms can start spinning and let go, happened twice on me on two different occasions, luckily both times the spring was still inside the a arms.
That is strange....you have to have the compressor in a vertical position. Not hard at all, just move the arms up or down the coils. When vertical, it's set to compress.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:22 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Because coil spring compressors are made by shade tree manufacturers in china and are pretty dangerous tools if you ask me, I've used the jack and chain method for years without any accidents or any chance at one.

If you have done it once it's so rediculously simple it's even faster than the coil spring compressor
Old 10-03-2003, 02:49 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Front Coil Spring Removal (Twin_Turbo)

Because coil spring compressors are made by shade tree manufacturers in china and are pretty dangerous tools if you ask me
Awww c'mon now, Chinese tools aren't all that bad, and neither are their cranks, rods, and other hi-po parts. In fact I had the opportunity to use the shade tree manufacturer's coil compressor when I rebuilt a friend's 66 BB. Nothing wrong with it, worked flawlessly like it should.

We all have our own way of doing certain things....and certainly I'm not going to criticize your method, anymore than you should criticize the use of a proper tool to do the job.

If you have done it once it's so rediculously simple it's even faster than the coil spring compressor
Nah...I'll stick to my tried and true method...one I'm used to doing. I only improvise when my back is at the wall and the options are exhausted.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:14 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

I'm not trying to criticize anyone but I know from experience that these tools are low quality and dangerous, I had one come apart and the spring almost took out my ribs

Get notified of new replies

To Front Coil Spring Removal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Coil Spring Removal