C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with electric headlight conversion, i have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 11:17 PM
SharkBit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default For those with electric headlight conversion, i have a few questions

hello guys, i have a few questions for you. first off, i did all the wiring just like chris said on his website

now heres my problem. my headlights will come up, but they do nothing to go down. when i use a test light and hit the down signal (c) i think, it will work, they will go both up and down.

heres another problem

when i pull the switch all the way out, they go up, then, if i go to park lights from headlights, they go down. if i go from headlights all the way into to full off, just like you would turn them off before you get out of the car, they stay up

does yours do the same thing? that doesnt bother me as bad as having to use a test light jumper to make the down signal work

im desperate, lol

thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:36 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: For those with electric headlight conversion, i have a few questions (SharkBit)

I don't know, but here's a ttt for you. :seeya
Old 10-02-2003, 05:31 AM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: For those with electric headlight conversion, i have a few questions (SharkBit)

Just FYI,

The system that Sharkbit is working off from is a boot leg he made himself from pictures on my website. I However, I have gone out of my way to help him over the phone and via email. He is only 18 years old, but is very enthusiastic about the Corvette hobby, and I would like to see him happy with his entire project. Sounds like it is an interesting custom Vette.

My guess is the module is fried based upon the way you told me you hooked it up the first time. They are sensative, and you can't just twist the wires here and there, and run your power source the way you did for testing. I don't think it is reversing the current on the down signal any longer because the module is now toast. Once you have everything in place, it is very simple and reliable. When you flipped your ground and power source, that was not a good idea. You might try a new module.

Just some quick basics:

If you are having to put a test light in circuit to get the down signal to trigger, it is a sign of a poor ground, or again...a burned internal portion of the module that won't jump to ground internally.

Finally, you can always get a repair manual for a 1988-1996 Vette, 93-97 Firebird, and even 97 to current Vette and study the trouble shooting flowcharts as the wiring and function is the same.

Other than that, since you are working off a homemade boot leg system you are pretty much on your own for this one.

Good luck

[Modified by 69Myway, 5:04 AM 10/2/2003]
Old 10-02-2003, 12:47 PM
SharkBit
Racer

Default Re: For those with electric headlight conversion, i have a few questions (69Myway)

first off chris, it was a bootleg, but only because i am the engineering type, i give full credit for your design anytime someone asks about the lights

second off, thanks for the help, i tried another module though, and it did the same thing, i changed grounds multiple times, im going to try one more module to see what i can do with it

thanks for all your help guys!
Old 10-02-2003, 12:51 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I got mine from Chris and installed them as stated in the manual that came with the kit, they worked like a charm, right from the start. :cheers:
Old 10-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

Default Re: For those with electric headlight conversion, i have a few questions (groovyjay)

I purchased the kit, have it installed except for the wiring. Hopefully I won't have these sorts of wiring woes. Mine lined up to where I didn't need to cut out the bottom of the actuator port, very tight fit though. Looks like its going to work wonderfully!
Old 10-02-2003, 06:20 PM
SharkBit
Racer

Default Re: For those with electric headlight conversion, i have a few questions (Gameshow Bob)

i will suggest though, unless you have lots of time and a good back, to just buy the brackets, i have removed and reinstalled them about 20 times so far making sure everything is right

this is an excellent project, i just need to get the wiring sorted out, as soon as i can, it will be great. it will be about 6 months or so before my car is done, i have to completely redo the interior, as well as many detailing hours.

chris i really appreciate all the help you have given me, as well as everyone else.

thanks again!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:03 PM
spiderjames
Intermediate

What website? I would like to lose my vacuum headlights eventualy.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: For those with electric headlight conversion, i have a few questions (spiderjames)

I personally like the quiry vacuum set up but I am a little off kilter.

69myway - Kudos for your helping. Not a jester many would have done for a bootleg. Nice to hear.

Sharkbit,

not an expert, but so more info would help. You mentioned the position of the lights (up or down) with respect to the switch position, but nothing about whether the lights work and when. Do the lights come on when the switch is pulled all the way out? Do the p[arking lights work when the headlights go down?

I can't hlp but think that a circuit is crossed somewhere.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:18 PM
SharkBit
Racer

Default Re: For those with electric headlight conversion, i have a few questions (Robert N)

all the lights are working, the lights come up, with the switch all the way out, then when you go to park lights they go down, if you go from headlights to all off, they will stay up, but to get them to go down when i go to park lights, the down signal wire must be grounded with a test light.

and yes, chris is quite the guy, maybe there is something i can help him with one of these days :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To For those with electric headlight conversion, i have a few questions

Quick Reply: For those with electric headlight conversion, i have a few questions