C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo blows fuse

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Stereo blows fuse

My stereo in 72 is blowing the fuse for some reason. It just strarted and does not matter if it is turned on or off. When you install a fuse it blows. It is an aftermarker model with cassette made to fit corvettes, with an additional amp.

Any suggestions on where to look first?

Thank you.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:50 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stereo blows fuse (Milest)

With aftermkt unit, my quess is the wires were taped and came apart. Pull the radio and look around.......... :eek:
Old 10-03-2003, 10:14 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

I am going to tackle this problem tomorrow, and was looking for suggestions on where to look.

Thank you
Old 10-03-2003, 10:26 AM
logans73
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start with the connections at the rear of the stereo. Make sure they are properly attached (solder preferred). Make sure you have a good ground. Then trace the hot wires back to their source (fuse panel?). Also, make sure your speakers are properly wired. Good luck.

Jon
Old 10-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: Stereo blows fuse (logans73)

About a week after I installed the Kenwood radio in my 73 it started blowing fuses. I assumed that it was something under the dash that I had wired improperly, but I could not find any problems uner there. I finally found that the short was in the wiring harness next to the firewall. That part of the harness had been sandwiched between the passenger side ignition shielding and the firewall and the insulation had rubbed through to the bare wire. It only shorted when the engine torque moved (very little movement involved here) the harness into just the right position.
My stereo was wired into the original power lead for the radio and I think that part of the wiring that shorted went to the low speed resistor for the AC fan. You might want to check and see if any other accessories are not working and check the wiring going to them as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo blows fuse

Quick Reply: Stereo blows fuse