C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing Arms on my 69'

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 04:19 PM
MIKES69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailing Arms on my 69'

One of my trailing arms is rusted at the point where the spring bolts on.. the other is not in that great of shape either. I'm going to replace both. I have new rotors, etc. from last fall, so I just need the arms. Any recommendations on where to purchase them would be helpful. There are several options that I see in the magazines, and I'm not sure which way to go. Price is important, but quality and shipping time is more important. Who's got them in stock, and which ones would you recommend.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-01-2003, 05:30 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Default Re: Trailing Arms on my 69' (MIKES69)

Mike the price on these has come down in the past couple of years. Shop around and you should be able to get them bare with the front bushing installed for around $160-170,maybe better. There is place int he US that's making them now. The last ones I bought were $175 and that was 3 years ago.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:43 PM
70L46Conv4Sp
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike,
I replaced mine with rebuilt units from Bair's in Pennsylvania. I have not finished the front end so I can't tell you how they work but I have every confidence they'll be great. Turnaround was very fast and it was worth paying $300 each with rotors attached. Ed and Brian were very helpful. I researched it some before buying and found that Bair's and Van Steel were the two top ones. I chose Bair's because they seemed to have a slight edge in recommendations on the forum. I was completely satisfied and will be a repeat customer.
Claude

Old 10-01-2003, 10:57 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen new ones advertized on Ebay for $139 a piece. I can't remember who was offering them though. They advertise them occasionally. Had mine done at Bair's and am quite pleased with the results.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:04 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Trailing Arms on my 69' (LemansBlue68)

All i have to say is beware. You pay for what you get. I've seen some of the arms that are at those low prices. Let me tell you, they don't line up correctly all the time and some of their bushings are junk. I've seen them where the parking brake bracket is 1" off from it's original postion. Not good quality either. Bairs' has good stock arms. Quality is great also. We use the same arms. We make offset t-arms, which are stronger than stock replacement arms. They are 1/4" thick c-channel and powder coated w/poly bushings. I'm not bad mouthing any company about their product. Just relaying info so your not stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Just my .02
Old 10-02-2003, 01:32 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard countless people say that Van Steel is the ONLY way to go. The pictures I've seen of their work are very very good. From what I can tell their prices are very good as well. I also hear their customer service is commendable.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:05 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced mine with the Vette Brakes heavy duty offset trailing arms. The strength of these units over stock is obvious and I had more room to install bigger wheels in the back (stock wheels are fine also). I'm very pleased with these. They also came with stainless bolts and shims - no more rust back there.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:34 PM
PureSilver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spend the extra $$$ and order from Van Steel. I did that mostly as a labor savings, but am extremely pleased with the quality. If I ever finish the frame repairs....

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing Arms on my 69'

Quick Reply: Trailing Arms on my 69'