C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Overseas Scam

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 03:09 PM
Shark Attack
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Overseas Scam

I am looking for a bike and have had 2 people so far write me from overseas,1 Amsterdam,1 Germany. Both would cover the cost of shipping to include if I dont like the bike the would pay the return shipping. Both people worded the payment in the EXACT way:
........................................ ........................................ ................................
Quote:

About the payment, all you have to do is go with cash to a Western Union office and complete a "To Send Money" form.
As receiver's address you must use my address :
Helenstrasse, 482
Berlin 10623
Germany
and as for receiver name, you must use a name of your preference : your father's name, your best friend's name or any name
you can think of.
Right after you make the transfer, you must send me the details of the transfer :
- exact MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number, it is a 10 digits number, that will help me to track the money online)
- exact sender name
- exact receiver name
- exact transfer fees, in case that the bike is not as you expected and you want to return it and this way I will have to
return you the transfer fees (but I am sure you will love the bike and there will not be problems like that)
(I nead those informations so I can check if the transfer was made and I can verify that on Western Union's webpage).
After I will have the confirmation of the payment, I will call FedEx and give them my approval to send you the bike
immediately. Right after, I will send you the tracking number from FedEx so you can track the bike in its way to you.
After you will receive the bike you will have 5 days for inspection. You can take the bike to a Suzuki Service to be sure
that everything is in order or you can bring a Suzuki mechanic to look over the bike.
If is there something wrong with the bike you can retreive your money from Western Union, the bike will be shipped on my
expenses back to Germany and I will return the transfer fees to you. If you decide to keep the bike, you must change the
receiver name into my name :
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
so I can be able to cash the money.
Why this procedure? Because :
1. Western Union is a global leader in money transfer and message services, with a history of pioneering service dating back
more than 150 years and it continues today to help consumers and businesses securely transfer money or make payments using
money orders and other electronic systems. Consumers can quickly and easily transfer money to more than 150,000 Western Union
Agent locations in over 190 countries worldwide - the largest network of its kind.
2. The money will be deposited at Western Union on the name you chose and can NOT be retrieved (except by you) until you
change the receiver name into my name. This way I can have the guarantee that you have the money and that you are ready to
buy the bike
4. I will support the shipping charges and you will support the transfer fees (You will have to pay some fees there at
Western Union : 6% - 8% from the total amount - this depends on your exact location also) - I think this way is fair.
Very important! When you'll make the transfer, do NOT tell to Western Union that you are making a payment for a purchase,
because they will charge us both. When you will change the receiver name into mine so I can cash the money I will not receive
the same amount you are sending, and I already support the shipping and insurance costs. Better tell them
that you are sending the money to a relative of yours. This way, I think you will even pay lower fees.
I hope you will agree this procedure and if so, contact me back with your exact shipping address, complete name and phone
number (needed by FedEX).
All my best!
........................................ ........................................ ..............................

Be caresull that yall dont get caught up in this. I am reporting this to my local police dept and they are turning it over to the secret service. I hate theives. It ruins buying things for everyone in some form or fashion. No I didnot send any money and that is because it just smells fishy.

JB
Old 10-01-2003, 03:31 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: OT: Overseas Scam (Shark Attack)

:thumbs:
Old 10-01-2003, 04:38 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

This is a different twist. They're looking to scam the buyer and not the seller? Bizarre!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:48 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: OT: Overseas Scam (ddecart)

Oh, that's a new one, I've had the same kind of stuff sent to me a couple of times from people claiming they're the son/daughter of a farmer in Africa somehwere (I think Zimbabwe)

Old 10-01-2003, 05:14 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Home page of MSN had confessions of an EBAY con artist...that's who they go after, buyers....send cash. They steal someone's Ebay id, that has a high rating, lure the unsuspecting sap by giving them an unbelieable deal, has to be a cash transaction, send by Wire transfer, Wester Union, they got the cash, you're out of luck.

One more thing, the guy they interviewed was from Chekoslovakia. Ever get these get rich on ebay email Spams? Guess what...this is how this crook got started... he paid the initiation fee, then got a write up how to con peeps out of their cash...again, this is an off shore operation.

[Modified by GDaina, 6:59 PM 10/2/2003]
Old 10-01-2003, 05:16 PM
jimb500
Racer

Western Union doesn't require much in the way if ID. Once you give out the info, the scammer shows up with phony ID and collect.

It was all on 60 minutes or dateline not long ago.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:14 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: OT: Overseas Scam (jimb500)

From what I understand, you don't need an ID at all to pick up wired money. You just give the name it's under. Western Union will require ID if you specify it, but it's a special box you have to check on the form.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Shark Attack
Advanced

Default Re: OT: Overseas Scam (zwede)

Ive gotten 4 emails now from diferent names at diferent locations all with the same payment option. :cuss :mad People like that suck
Old 10-01-2003, 09:36 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

That is funny! Give me all this personal information...but don't worry, nobody can pick up the money other than you until you change the name. Yeah, right!

How are these people finding you anyhow?
Old 10-01-2003, 11:04 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

OK, that settles it! I am not buying or selling anything ever again!!! :lol: MJ
Old 10-02-2003, 10:19 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel badly. I've been ripped off on ebay at least 3 or 4 times as of late. All electronics or electronics-related. I buy something and it's broken. Then the seller says "These are common items. I cannot verify that is the item I sold to you because I don't have the serial number." Or they don't respond at all. Swine.

And it's not worth bothering trying to use ebay's "fraud alert" or whatever it's called. All ebay cares about is getting their piece of the pie.

I've resorted to recovering part of my costs by selling the item on ebay HONESTLY; i.e., describing the problem with the items as accurately as possible, then selling it as is. It works fine, but I've still lost some dough.

I'm finished with ebay as a buyer.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Shark Attack
Advanced

Default Re: OT: Overseas Scam (ddecart)

That is funny! Give me all this personal information...but don't worry, nobody can pick up the money other than you until you change the name. Yeah, right!

How are these people finding you anyhow?
Ive replied to posts concerning bikes for sale. all in diferent parts of the US. but they all get responded by people in other countries using the same scam.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:41 PM
jaggeedfire
Instructor

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My brother found a crated LT4 engine on Ebay and contacted the seller. He did something simillar with Western Union and got scammed. The guy said he'd be out of country for vacation (from Canada to Europe) and after he paid the guy never contacted him back. Guy had good feedback and the deal seemed legit. He's currently trying to fight for his money back but not getting much as far as help...

Anyone else had luck with refunds?

Soon after he found the same deal by another guy in spain and tried to contact with no return.
Buyer beware!!!! :mad

Get notified of new replies

To OT: Overseas Scam

Quick Reply: OT: Overseas Scam