C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 11:53 PM
marioncole
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Conversion

I want to finish up my project on the 74 by installing a killer AC system. I am currently thinking of getting rid of the A6 Compressor and VIR/POA of the 74 and install a new condensor, evaporator, hoses, accumulator and R4 compressor using 82 vette part numbers. Any one have advice on whether this will do the job as an excellent cooling system. I am getting rid of the A6 because I have headers on the ZZ4 and the A6 mounts wont work. Anyone have an R4 on a ZZ4? What did you use to mount the R4? Any and all advice Pros/Cons welcome Thanks from a new member
Old 10-01-2003, 02:27 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: AC Conversion (marioncole)

Since your doing the whole thing from scratch basically, I'd forget the R-4 and go with a Sanden (newer style, non-cycling) compressor. I've heard nothing but good about them and wish I had done the swap instead of buying a new R-4. Match it with a new condensor and the other goodies for about the same price as retrofitting the newer r-12 system and run 134-a like it was meant to be used. Vintage-air has a kit thats designed for our cars and looks like a sweet deal.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:41 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an R4 with brackets and hoses that has been converted to 134 for sale. It was professionally removed and is in very good condition. $75 OBO.
will_shepherd@hotmail.com if interested.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

The R4 compression is probably the worse compressor that GM ever used. I would recommend going with a modern compressor. Check out the Corvette Clinic (Chris Petris) in Fla. He has a complete kit with the Sanden compressor, mounting kit, all the hoses, new evaporator and dryer (from '82 models), and the wiring kit.

Check it out at the Corvette Clinic

tom...
Old 10-01-2003, 10:17 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: AC Conversion (Tom73)

I have an 82 (orfice-tube) type evaporator and outside box on my 69. You have to grind the top of the fan shroud part of the box or it's hits the fender. I am using complete 91 serpentine belt accessories with a more modern compressor. It works great.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Conversion

Quick Reply: AC Conversion