C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trannsmissions, flywheels, torque converters and more...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:32 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trannsmissions, flywheels, torque converters and more...

In the bolting of the torque converter and flywheel together – Do I bolt them together first before I hook up the transmission? Because when I put the tranny and engine together, I couldn’t turn the crank at all. If that is the case how can I tighten the top bolt of the three bolts on the torque converter after I put the engine and the tranny together? The only thing I could think of was to position the flywheel so I could get to the lower two bolts and tighten those, then just bump the engine when I get it all put together. How long do the bolts need to be going into the torque converter? I just had the short bolts with a nut because my old converter just had a plate that the bolt slipped through and tightened a nut on the back.

Thanks,

Karl

Old 09-30-2003, 10:38 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Trannsmissions, flywheels, torque converters and more... (ill_driver)

Move the shifter linkage. Make sure it is in a moveable position(neutral). That should allow you to turn the flywheel. They actually make a tool that acts as a wrench, so that you can grip the teeth of the flywheel to turn it. Or you can just turn the crank bolt if that is possible.

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 9:40 PM 9/30/2003]
Old 09-30-2003, 10:43 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

Default Re: Trannsmissions, flywheels, torque converters and more... (79VetteMike)

I have it all out of the car...
Old 09-30-2003, 10:45 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Trannsmissions, flywheels, torque converters and more... (ill_driver)

You still need to make sure that the shifter attachment point on the side of the trans is out of gear.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:47 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Move the linkage until it is in a position to move. You should be able to feel the shift detents.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Don't do it you don't have all the bolts in the flexplate bolted to the torque convertor, you can shear off a bolt. There is tool, that spans across the gears on the ring gear that allows you to turn the flexplate. You might be able to borrow the tool from Autozone or Kragen/Advanced Auto. If you can't find the tool you should be able to turn the engine over with a socket and ratchet (1/2") or break-over bar on the balancer bolt if all the plugs are out of the engine. You don't have to turn the engine a full revolution just enough to put the flexplate in position to bolt to the torque convertor.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:54 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Trannsmissions, flywheels, torque converters and more... (Smokehouse69)

He has it all out of the car. He isn't going to shear a bolt. The only way that the flywheel is going to turn is if you make sure that the gear selector is in neutral.

1. Make sure there is trans fluid in the torque convertor.
2. Make sure the flywheel is bolted and torqued to specs to the crank.
3. Slide the torque convertor onto the trans shaft. Be careful not to damage anything. Don't force it. Put some trans fluid on the shaft and slide it on until it keys.
4. Align the trans up to the back end of the engine block.
5. Make sure that you watch the torque convertor so that it doesn't fall off.
6. Your flywheel and torque convertor should match up as far as how close they are together.
You will have to turn the crank and/or the trans to put all three bolts in, but you have to make sure that the trans is out of gear.

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 10:00 PM 9/30/2003]
Old 09-30-2003, 11:06 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

Default Re: Trannsmissions, flywheels, torque converters and more... (79VetteMike)

I am a retard, thanks!
-Karl :hurray:
Old 09-30-2003, 11:51 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

First off, on a SBC, the crank bolt on the front is a very poor solution to spin over the engine, especially if plugs are in place....you will break that bolt, sure thing....to spin the engine you don't need any special tools, just a pair of vice grips on the flat face of the flex plate, and spin away....plugs or not....you got the leverage....second off, make damn sure that converter is seated ALL THE WAY, before you mate the ballhousing, and that as it's in place, before you tighten the bolts, make sure that converter spins freely...it shuld have about 1/4 inch of space from the converter 3 main bosses to the flexplate...when bolted in with 1/2 inch bolts, you will pull the converter out of the tranny slightly....

frankly IMO, it's easier to put the tranny in first, then do the engine....but that's just me....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Trannsmissions, flywheels, torque converters and more...

Quick Reply: Trannsmissions, flywheels, torque converters and more...