C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you mount the drivers side mirror on a 68 and mount the....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 04:08 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do you mount the drivers side mirror on a 68 and mount the....

How do you mount the drivers side mirror on a 68 and mount the center guage bezel on a 76.

My drivers side door has 2 holes and thats it. I bought a mirror mouning kit and new mirror, but I cant figure out how the braket mounts on the door. It appears that I am supposed to have something in the door that the outer bracket mounts to. Any ideas???

Also I have a new gauge bezel that I am installing on my 76. what is the correct order of mounting it. The difficulty seems to be in the vents that mount on the top of the bezel. I cant get the screws to line up with the clips on the plastic duct that feeds the center vent. I have a assembly manual and a restoration guide but neither gives any guidance other then the obvious.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:12 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: How do you mount the drivers side mirror on a 68 and mount the.... (BigBadOrange)

For the replacments there is a rubber compression nut (correct term?) that goes in each hole then a mounting plate that attaches to them, the mirror is attached to the plate with the single bolt. As you tighten the bolts into the rubber nuts they expend inside the door to hold the plate. If the rubber nuts are missing I would call the vendor to have them send you a set of them.

[Modified by Fevre, 3:14 PM 9/30/2003]
Old 09-30-2003, 04:22 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do you mount the drivers side mirror on a 68 and mount the.... (Fevre)

sorry to babble in your thread, but this reminds me about the time i told my buddy that if he can put a drivers mirror upside down on the wrong side of the car and it will work. lol he looked stunned for a good 5 seconds before I got punched in the shoulder.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: How do you mount the drivers side mirror on a 68 and mount the.... (Fevre)

Seems I remember that there is a nut plate up in the door that the mirror mounting bracket bolts onto. Chuck
Old 09-30-2003, 06:11 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Default Re: How do you mount the drivers side mirror on a 68 and mount the.... (Chuck Gongloff)

Chuck, you describe what I think. THe holes are to big for the rubber do-dads even if they were compressed. Do you think I could just take a strip of metal, drill a couple holes and go from there?
Old 09-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: How do you mount the drivers side mirror on a 68 and mount the.... (BigBadOrange)

In the 69 assy. manual, on page J129, you'll find the mirror installation. That's in Section 1 Sheet F22. It shows an existing "tapping plate" into which two machine screws for the mirror mount attach. You should find the same assembly in your 68 AIM. Sounds like you're missing the nut plate/tapping plate. Chuck
Old 09-30-2003, 08:17 PM
rparkervette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished installing a new mirror on my 68. Do remember 68's have a lot of different pieces than a 69 and up(68 doors are one of a kind). The mounting plate attaches with two phillips head bolts to the door. Inside the door is a metal plate with two nuts welded on the plate which is welded to the inner frame of the door (this is what gives the mounting bracket its support). Mine were striped out and had to rethreaded. However all you need to do is first take the mounting bracket with the rubber seal and fasten it to the door. The mirror tower itself has a fastening screw on the underside. This will secure it to the mounting bracket.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you mount the drivers side mirror on a 68 and mount the....

Quick Reply: How do you mount the drivers side mirror on a 68 and mount the....