C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn/Cracked frames?

Old 09-30-2003, 11:04 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torn/Cracked frames?

Hey guys...

I'm cleaning up and painting the frame on the 75! The problem is that when the car was wrecked at some point in the past, the accident ripped the passanger side rear lower control arm mount off the frame. It has been repaired, but looks like someone just blobbed it back together... its built up a good 3/16 of an inch.

I'm thinking this is the reason that one side has 2 shims on the uppers and the other has 8 or 9...

But, there is also a crack on the engine suspension crossmember, on the drivers side right below the bottom weld that attaches it to the frame rail. This one is about 3/4's of an inch long, and looks like a stress crack... but its not a weld :confused:

I'm wondering what kind of welder i could use to repair this... I love tools anyways and if some of its not to hard I'd like to weld up some seams on the frame rails too!

Thanks guys for the input... are these common problems? :cheers:
Old 09-30-2003, 11:24 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Torn/Cracked frames? (ZD75blue)

A MIG can do it. 220V MIG is preferred but even a 135A 110V model will do a good job. You can even stick weld it although it won't look as nice. I'd recommend taking it to a frame shop, though, to check all the dimensions. With so many shims needed on only one side they either welded the control arm mounts back in the wrong place or the entire frame extension on that side is crooked. Many of these problems can be fixed by a good shop. They use hydraulic rams to pop it back into spec.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:42 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Torn/Cracked frames? (zwede)

A MIG can do it. 220V MIG is preferred but even a 135A 110V model will do a good job. You can even stick weld it although it won't look as nice. I'd recommend taking it to a frame shop, though, to check all the dimensions. With so many shims needed on only one side they either welded the control arm mounts back in the wrong place or the entire frame extension on that side is crooked. Many of these problems can be fixed by a good shop. They use hydraulic rams to pop it back into spec.
Sounds cool to me... :yesnod:

I dont have 220 in the garage yet, but When I do... what brand mig yall recomend? I can only dream of a tig though... If I bought one I dont know how long I could wait to setup an aluminum tube frame! :lol:
Old 09-30-2003, 04:06 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Torn/Cracked frames? (ZD75blue)

I dont have 220 in the garage yet, but When I do... what brand mig yall recomend?
Hobart and Lincoln both make good welders at a reasonable cost.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:28 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Torn/Cracked frames? (zwede)

Yes even a 115V 20A mig welder will do it you would be suprised how thin the frame metal actually is :D
Old 09-30-2003, 09:21 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Torn/Cracked frames? (MotorHead)

Yes even a 115V 20A mig welder will do it you would be suprised how thin the frame metal actually is :D
I was marveling at that myself... it looks like a sandwich thats been tacked together... :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Torn/Cracked frames?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torn/Cracked frames?