C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BB alt. pulley ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 08:49 AM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BB alt. pulley ?

I'm trying to get my drive belts lined up. This is turning out to be a lot tougher than I thought. I have a 70 bb with a/c and ps. I had to shim the ps pump (about 1/8" forward) and now I'm working on the alt./ps belt allignment. My alt. has a double pulley on it. Is this correct? If so, it looks like I should be using the front most pulley on the alt. Can anyone confirm this?
This car has tripple pulley on the crank; it looks to me like the alt. pulley should be in the same plane as the 3rd (front-most) pulley on the crank.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BB alt. pulley ? (70vert)

I redid mine a year or so ago , I also have a/c and ps , I don't believe i have a double pulley on my alt , I'll take a pic tonight. I had to do a good bit of shimming also , especially on the alt to get everything to line up, I used a march pulley kit , and a gm ps pulley , I think the a/c runs off the water pump. I just checked the assembly manual and it doesn't show a double pulley for the alt on the ls5 or ls6 - for 1971
Old 09-30-2003, 02:12 PM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my 74 BB as delivered from previous owner

2 groove crank pulley
3 groove WP pulley (rear groove went to A.I.R. pump)
2 groove alt pulley
2 groove PS pulley

Rear belt goes around crank, WP and alt
Front belt goes around crank, WP and A/C
Third belt around alt - PS

I could not find this belt arrangement in my assembly manual, so it may be bubba's own.

The arrangements in the assembly manual that used a 3 groove crank pulley only used a 1 groove alt pulley, with the back belt going around the crank, WP and alt. the middle belt around the crank, WP and A/C and the front belt going around the crank and PS.

This may or may not help.
David
Old 09-30-2003, 11:18 PM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To BB alt. pulley ?

Quick Reply: BB alt. pulley ?