C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, can someone tell me what 5 speed trans this is?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 10:29 PM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OK, can someone tell me what 5 speed trans this is?

I bought this '69 a few months ago, and I promised my wife I would not begin work on it until I sold the '76. True to my word, I haven't done anything but tonite I decided to jack it up and take some pics of the 5 speed that the previous owner installed. I couldn't find my jackstands, so I just held the camera under there and snapped away!
Here is a link to the pics: http://libraries.uta.edu/sholmes/tranny/index.htm
Old 09-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Default Re: OK, can someone tell me what 5 speed trans this is? (Shrike)

Anyone?
Old 09-29-2003, 11:40 PM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The transmission looks like it is tilted over to the driver's side a few degrees. Is it really? The pics are kind of deceiving.

If it is, it probably is about 18* and it is a T-5 out of a 83-92 or so Camaro/Firebird. Not really a strong transmission, prone to breaking some of the internals (synchros, forks, clusters! etc.) Under normal driving, they should be fine, but the minute you slip on a power shift, things start to break!
There's a reason GM didn't put it behind the 350 and only the 305, they are only rated for about 250 lb/ft or so of torque.

hope this helps!
Paul
Old 09-29-2003, 11:53 PM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Default Re: OK, can someone tell me what 5 speed trans this is? (73sbvert)

Crap! I hope thats not what it is. I'll jack it up and get under it tomorrow. Are there any other identifiying characteristics I should look for?
Scott
Old 09-30-2003, 12:23 AM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Crap! I hope thats not what it is. I'll jack it up and get under it tomorrow. Are there any other identifiying characteristics I should look for?
Scott
Well, it's not ALL bad! There are several guys that have been running them successfully for long times, just being careful! They really can't take the power shifts though. Purposeful and cautious shifting will let it last a while!

On the left side of the tranny should be a B-W marking with a part number. I don't remember offhand the site, but with that p/n, you should be able to find out what series it is. The ones dated past mid-87 or so are the ones known as World Class T-5's and they are slightly stronger due to a little beefier front bearing carrier and roller bearings.

Good luck!
Paul
Old 09-30-2003, 08:27 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: OK, can someone tell me what 5 speed trans this is? (73sbvert)

T-5 and the cant to one side. It was a GM thing.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:50 AM
Fevre
Race Director

If it drives and shifts fine then don't worry too much. Things to avoid are powershifting, shifting when pushing in the clutch and not letting off on the gas, and hard shifts into 3rd. Looks like they used a F-body bellhousing with some modification to the clutch fork, I tried to install mine with the F-body bellhousing that has the hyd clutch slave cyl attached to the bellhousing but the slave cyl bracket hit the trans tunnel/firewall area. It also required a smaller flywheel than I have so I have ditched that idea and am debating between installing the t5 with the vette bellhousing or buying a keisler modified trans. Let us know what your thought are on it and if you have any pics of the shifter as it appears with the console intact and with the console removed. I am curious as to how well the shifter lines up with the trans tilted the 18 degrees.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Default Re: OK, can someone tell me what 5 speed trans this is? (Fevre)

I'll take some pics of the shifter tonite (with the console intact). It is the stock shifter, but it sits up kinda high...kinda like having a "long throw" shifter. Other than that, it seems to line up ok.
Scott
Old 09-30-2003, 10:46 AM
Fevre
Race Director

I'll take some pics of the shifter tonite (with the console intact). It is the stock shifter, but it sits up kinda high...kinda like having a "long throw" shifter. Other than that, it seems to line up ok.
Scott
:cool: , appreciate it.

Also there is a company called g-force that offers a kit to rebuild the t5 to handle over 600 hp for about $1,000 if you are inclined to hop up your motor.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:06 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shrike I like the T5 and if used properly it will do fine. Like others said it doesn't like to be power shifted into 3rd. 1st will take all the burnouts you want and I know a guy running a hot 355 nitrous motor using the 6 cylinder T5 and he goes through one a year but about 4 sets of rear tires.
Drive it sensibly, don't power shift into 3rd for sure and it will give good service.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:56 PM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Default Re: OK, can someone tell me what 5 speed trans this is? (norvalwilhelm)

ok, just crawled out from under. It does say Borg Warner on the left side, but no other marking I could see except for "basic- l" up high on the left. Where exactly should I be seeing a number?

Fevre- here is a pic of the shifter, I'll post some more tomorrow

Get notified of new replies

To OK, can someone tell me what 5 speed trans this is?

Quick Reply: OK, can someone tell me what 5 speed trans this is?