C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you use for cleaning electrical connectors?

Old 09-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you use for cleaning electrical connectors?

Finishing up on my 78SA frame off and I am to my wiring.
Had a electrical problem with my engine harness and it turned out to be dirty connector pins. They have a lot of oxidation on them. What can I purchase to clean all my connectors as I put this vette back together??
Thanks,
Neil in Tenn
Old 09-30-2003, 12:05 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Default Re: What do you use for cleaning electrical connectors? (Nomad78SA)

Hi Neil-
I've used a fiberglas pen for years for this task. Works great, and gets into the smaller areas. And some 'jewelers' screwdrivers come in handy for those real small areas that need to be scraped. Sometimes a small piece of 'gray' scotchbite pad is also usefull, and can be used on the tip of a small screwdriver.
I also use the jewelers' screwdrivers to pop loose the terminals for removal form connectors. Makes for easier cleaning!
Once you've put all that hard work into a connector, I use either a clear or black silicone sealer on the ends of the connector to keep moisture/dirt out.
Good Luck to Ya! :chevy

[Modified by ROD NOCK, 12:08 AM 9/30/2003]
Old 09-30-2003, 12:24 AM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Contact cleaner, available at most electronics stores! Spray on, let dry!
Old 09-30-2003, 12:25 AM
blunsford
Racer

Go to radio shack and get a aerosol can of their electrical connector cleaner. I think they MAY still call it tuner cleaner and lube, but it is for cleaning and lubing all electrical connections.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:46 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: What do you use for cleaning electrical connectors? (blunsford)

I've used a fiberglas pen for years for this task
Rod, what is this?
I also use finer screwdrivers to disassemble the connectors and scrap them but some of the stuff is just full of gunk and brittle. All the interior connectors are in good shape but the engine compartment ones have taken there toll from engine heat and grime.
I thought about contact cleaner but wonder what else is out there.
Neil in Tenn
Old 09-30-2003, 11:04 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Rod, what is this?..................I thought about contact cleaner but wonder what else is out there.
Neil-
The fiberglas pen is just that, a pen filled with fiberglas fibers. In effect, it's like a tough small scrub brush. You can vary the lenght the fibers protruding from the end via a ****.
I've found 2 styles of this tool over the years. The 1st has thicker dia. fibers. These I've seen in art supply stores. (my quess is used as eraser?) Have found refills for this too.
The 2nd has finer fibers and is used in auto paint touch-up as a paint chip cleaner. Found that in discount auto supply.
Use it carefully, as the (well known here) fiberglas fibers break off with use and get into your skin. :eek:

You can use contact cleaner, but it's best to abrade/scrub the surface prior, to remove any corrosion/residue. This will leave you with less resistance across the terminal. I just use brake cleaner to follow up. (and it's cheaper) :cool:
You should also purchase some replacement terminals, as some get corroded beyond usage/fit. Most term's are the blade style that GM typically used in that era. For 'top-notch' install, these require soldering. :chevy

[Modified by ROD NOCK, 11:10 AM 9/30/2003]
Old 09-30-2003, 12:34 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What do you use for cleaning electrical connectors? (ROD NOCK)

Most of the metal terminals can be pried out of the plastic connector. There's generally a metal tang that can be depressed with a small screwdriver and the terminal backed out of the housing. Then you can scotchbright it, contact cleaner it, or replace it.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:00 PM
cdc
Intermediate

I've always used a cordless Dremel moto tool with a small rotary soft wire brush. It quickly cleans and brightens up the metal connector to like new. No mess, no chemicals. As mentioned by other posts, you need to pop out the connector from the plastic plug with a tiny screw driver. I've done all the
connectors on many wiring harnesses that way.-- works great.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you use for cleaning electrical connectors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you use for cleaning electrical connectors?