C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle cable adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 09:55 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Throttle cable adjustment question

I've got the throttle cable to my qjet so that the throttle is completely closed with no pressure on the pedal, but it starts to open immediately the moment the pedal starts to move. With the pedal to the floor, however, the throttle doesn't open all the way. I'm assuming the throttle lever should go as far back as it will go, to the point where the choke reopens. Is there an adjustment somewhere I'm missing, maybe to get more travel on the pedal?

JB
Old 09-29-2003, 10:29 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Throttle cable adjustment question (JB)

With the pedal fully depressed, is there any apparent travel stopper? The pedal itself is a bent pice of round stock. Over time, some pedals have flattened out enough that the pedal touches carpet and doesn't have all its "throw". I know, I had to take mine out and add some bend back into it.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:38 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Throttle cable adjustment question (AlwaysWave)

No, it seems to go flat to the carpet. I may have some bending to do.

JB
Old 09-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JB

On my 69 350 with qjet I found that I was not getting full throttle after having some carb work done. There are two mounting points where the throttle cable mounts to the linkage. Mine was positioned in the rear hole resulting in a loss of tension on the cable. Moving the cable mounting screw forward did the trick. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Mark
Old 09-29-2003, 11:17 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Throttle cable adjustment question (Burgundy 69)

JB ye makes it hard for us to answer the question if ye dont tell us what yare. I see from your profile that you have a 69, so I will assume that is the one we are discussing here. 69s have a bad habbit of bending the stamped lever on the pedal assembly. You will find that this is bent. :)
Old 09-29-2003, 11:34 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Throttle cable adjustment question (wombvette)

JB ye makes it hard for us to answer the question if ye dont tell us what yare. I see from your profile that you have a 69, so I will assume that is the one we are discussing here. 69s have a bad habbit of bending the stamped lever on the pedal assembly. You will find that this is bent. :)
Sorry 'bout that--I keep assuming everybody's got sigs turned on and can see details about my car when that ain't the case. I'm looking at the AIM and I'm not sure I see what stamped lever you mean. The pedal seems to attach directly to the round-stock rod that the cable attaches to at the other end. Is is the rod that's probably bent?

JB
Old 09-30-2003, 01:37 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

On the upper end of the lever, the end the cable actually attaches too, there is a stamped steel portion. This is weak in the center area and will bend, which keeps the pedal from making full travel. It was redesigned in later years.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:04 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Throttle cable adjustment question (wombvette)

Ah, OK, thanks! :) I may try adding a little material to it to strengthen it--I'm thinking that if I just bend it back into place, the metal's just going to be that much weaker.

JB
Old 09-30-2003, 11:31 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Well, son of a gun--the AIM is wrong. It shows the accelator pedal rod as one solid round stock piece from pedal to cable, but when I just now got under there, I found a two-piece arrangement--round stock to the pivot on the firewall, and a cheap crappy stamped piece from there to the cable. And talk about bent! No wonder I'm not getting full travel on it.

JB

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle cable adjustment question

Quick Reply: Throttle cable adjustment question