C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 questions about a Tach for 79 L82

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 05:24 PM
my_79
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions about a Tach for 79 L82

Recently my tach stopped working on my 79. Looking around, I found I can buy a Tach printed circuit bd for about $62.

Where is this thing located? And is there some way to verify that it is bad?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2003, 06:35 PM
NorthVette
Racer

Default Re: 2 questions about a Tach for 79 L82 (my_79)

The Printed circuit is on the back side of the driver instrument cluster... You're gonna have to remove it to change... Another PITA job... You will likely have to lower the steering column to get it out... Remove the lens screws, the cluster screws, unplug the speedo and the main wire harness at the back. Gently persuade it out then remove the "main" (for the lights) circuit sheet then you can chage the tach board. Remember how it came out and where the nuts were, and reverse procedure to install... Just a note: While you're in there, change all the bulbs while you're at it... Hate to see you get it alll back in then find out your left singnal indicator went out...

Good luck, and have fun! :cheers:
Old 09-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

And before you go taking the dash apart, make sure the plug is still connected at the distributor. It has a clip on it, so it should be connected, but you never know. It's on the driver's side of the dist. cap, and is labeled "tach". I would highly suggest disconnecting the battery before removing the tach board, just as a safety measure.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:10 AM
JOliver
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two circuit boards one is for the lights it is a printed sheet.The other goes to the tach,the one on the back of the tach is the one that usually goes bad it contains the IC chip for the tachs settings.The tach comes out of the front ,I'm pretty sure you don't have to lower the steering colum.Take the speedo/tach lens retainer bezel off then there are three 1/4 headed screws that hold the tach in.No need of taking the whole cluster out ...its a 15 minute job to get to that Tach.Three 3/8 speed nuts hold the board on take it off pop the new one on and reinstall.I work on these all the time if you need some more help email me
Vetteinstruments@aol.com
Jason
Old 09-30-2003, 08:10 AM
my_79
Heel & Toe

Default Re: 2 questions about a Tach for 79 L82 (JOliver)

Thank you all for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 questions about a Tach for 79 L82

Quick Reply: 2 questions about a Tach for 79 L82