C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Closed thread re Ricers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 02:09 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Closed thread re Ricers

I first want to appologize to anyone who read my previous post about my ricer encounter and thought that I was racing them or condoned street racing (see "Toasted some rice yesterday"). Let me say emphatically that I was not and do not. Had I wanted to race them I would not have pulled out of their way and slowed down at the first opportunity. As I thought I made clear, my options were to pull into the right lane, stay in the left lane or get out of their way as quickly as possible. Option one would have meant cutting someone off; since I was right about the troopers on the median, option two would have opened up the possibility of my being cited for obstructing traffic. (I don't know about other states but NJ does not like the idea of civilians taking it upon themselves to enforce the speed limit). That left me with one choice - get out of their way, And the only way to do that was to get to a spot on the road where I could safely pull over.

Also, I don't think what I did was a "dirty trick" as one member has suggested. I didn't encourage them to speed, nor did I lead them into a radar trap. Had I not been in the left lane they would ahve been nailed anyway.

Finally, when I said I toasted the ricers I did not mean by racing them. I meant they were toast by flying through a radar trap.

[Modified by 6t9l4t6, 7:19 PM 9/29/2003]

[Modified by 6t9l4t6, 7:30 PM 9/29/2003]
Old 09-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: Closed thread re Ricers (6t9l4t6)

I saw what you were trying to say from the beginning. I guess I can see how other could consider it racing. I have had that happen to me alot here in Louisiana. For some reason people do not want to stop and will ride your backside until you get out of their way. I mean the left lane is for passing and as long as I am passing stay off of my back. It really burns me when people are flashing brights at you, while you are passing people, and stuck behind others passing. I do not understand how people think they will make all the traffic in front of me move quicker by tailgating and brighting me.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:39 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

I'm not sure how or why anybody thought you were racing. It was obvious to me what you meant, and I don't think you did anything wrong. I think it is always good to preach safety, even if you don't always practice it yourself but sometimes people can take it too far on this forum. I have visited other forums and we are extremely civilized and law abiding compared to the rest but yet there are still people that will jump all over people here that metion they went a few miles over the speed limit or they sped up to move over and let someone pass.
:thumbs:
Old 09-29-2003, 05:02 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Closed thread re Ricers (Sigforty)

:iagree: I understood what you were saying right off the bat. Those idiots absolutely deserved what they got.

I have the same problem, too...people roaring up my butt when I'm already passing traffic. It seems like you can't go fast enough for some folks -- if you're going 80, it doesn't matter. They just wanna go faster than you!

If I had a similar opportunity like you did, I wouldn't hesitate to do it. :yesnod:
Old 09-29-2003, 05:15 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see no need for apology, I thought it was quite clear, as well. I hate people who play games on the highway. I once got busted on I-95 in Virginia back when the 55 speed limit was introduced. Some guy would slowly pass me (I was at 60), pull in front, and slow to 50. When I would try to pass, he would speed up until I fell in behind again , then he'd slow. When I finally had enough and zoomed to 75 to pass, a trooper pulled out from the following traffic and busted ME :mad
Old 09-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Arto
Instructor

Default Re: Closed thread re Ricers (page62)

:iagree: :thumbs:

Arto
Old 09-29-2003, 05:23 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Default Re: Closed thread re Ricers (FlyingFinn)

i would have done the same thing....i especially dislike people that ride my tail when i am already over the speed limit..

[Modified by 1bad69, 5:25 PM 9/29/2003]
Old 09-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Fevre
Race Director

I do get on people arzes if they pull out in front of me just before I over take them and pass the person they are now passing unless they pull out and speed up some so as to not impead my progress too much, or if I come up on some one who has passed but refuses to yeild the fast lane. I get on the arz and if they don't move I rocket around them. Call me inpatient or a a-hole but I call them rude for now adhering to proper road etiquette. 2 wrongs don't make a right but they do cancell each other. :lol:
Old 09-30-2003, 03:02 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Closed thread re Ricers (1bad69)

i especially dislike people that ride my tail when i am already over the speed limit..[Modified by 1bad69, 5:25 PM 9/29/2003]
:iagree:

I drop it down a couple notches, and slowly inch forward and ignore the honks and flashes...and if they persists, I drop it down yet another notch, but never below the speed limit....in time they realize that crowding isn't getting them anywhere and they back off....when they do...i pick up the pace, pass, and let them go...it's comical, they fly by me like a bat out of hell, flipping the bird, jaws flapping a mile a minute, making complete fools of themselves...me...I just laugh at them....I know, I'm bad... :D
Old 09-30-2003, 03:46 AM
stinky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Closed thread re Ricers (GDaina)

:withstupid: works almost every time :D
Old 09-30-2003, 09:44 AM
tersian
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Closed thread re Ricers (stinky)

Ya know, it's funny. My wife called me today while we were both on the way to work. She wanted me to hear the sound that a riced out civic makes when it is 4 inches from your bumper. She said this kid had been tailgating her for miles now and she was behind 4 other people who were behind a 18 wheeler. She seemed amazed at how it made so much noise an went nowhere. Eventually the ricer tried to pass the whole mess only to make it half way, having to zoom inbetween a bunch of cars to avoid a head on collision and almost causing a secondary accident.

I know a lot of you say "but they are just car enthusiasts too" but I really have to disagree. The ones in my area are all "blin bling" and know NOTHING about cars except what they see on 2F2F or can buy in an APC catalog. They drive too fast in conditions that are not conducive to speed, pass when they shouldn't, and have cars with lackluster performance, both in steering/suspension and power yet they drive them like they are driving a Le Mans racer.

Of course this is nothing new really. It's not the first decade of kids who drive their cars like maniacs, a lot of you know people who drove their Chevelle's, Novas and Mustangs like idiots as well as people who drove their Pacers and Pintos like some psycho demolition derby street racer on crack. Unfortunately the emphasis nowadays is to make it all show, don't worry about go, you can get to that later. Yet they try and use the "go" they don't have and end up a tree shawl. Of course, there are those into classic cars who adhere to the "if it don't go, chrome it" motto, but I don't remember those guys acting like the kids of today. Personally, I'll take a set of Cherry Bombs or Glass Packs over a fart can anyday :)

That's just my $0.02

-B
Old 09-30-2003, 09:56 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Re: Closed thread re Ricers (1bad69)

i would have done the same thing....i especially dislike people that ride my tail when i am already over the speed limit..
EXACTLY!!! :smash:
Old 09-30-2003, 11:32 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Closed thread re Ricers (tersian)

I absolutely agree with tersian Well said.

Get notified of new replies

To Closed thread re Ricers

Quick Reply: Closed thread re Ricers