C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing steering box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 12:44 PM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Default Changing steering box?

I'm heading out side to change manual steering box. Book says disassemble steering column rag joint, and pitman arm. Can it be this simple? :confused: I'm concerned with correct "alignment" because I am removing my box and installing another one. How do I know where the positioning of the replacement box is? Trial and error with steering wheel? :banghead:
Thanks for any input!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:45 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Changing steering box? (SEE3ER)

Attach the flexible coupling to the gear input shaft. If the gear is 1969 or later, the input shaft should have a flat on it. Your flexible coupling should have a mating flat so it should only go on one way.

Rotate the steering gear lock to lock. Count all the number of turns (X). Now divide the number of turns in half (X/2). From full lock, come back exactly X/2 turns. Now your gear should be right on center. Also, your flexible coupling should have the stop pins at 12 and 6 o'clock. Also, your pinch bolt vertical and passing through the 9 o'clock quadrant. It should also have its head so that you could be reaching over your front fender and place your 12 point socket right down on its head.

The pitman (output) shaft should have a blocked tooth that should match up to a blank tooth space on the pitman arm. So the pitman arm should only go on one way.

When you put the gear into the car with the gear on center. The flexible coupling on the gear should have the two different size attaching bolts sticking rearward at the 9 o'clock (big bolt 3/8-24) and 3 o'clock (small bolt (5/16-24) positions.

You should also set your steering column and steering wheel so that they are straight ahead. Now when you button everything up, your gear and steering wheel should be pointing straight ahead. Any minor adjustments (to get the steering wheel exactly on center when your car is traveling straight) can be made by adjusting the tie rods. (Be sure that you rotate both adjuster sleevers the same direction and the exactly the same number of turns.)
Old 09-29-2003, 03:47 PM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '21

Default Re: Changing steering box? (Jim Shea)

Thanks Jim! :cheers: now I'm thinking of replacing the rag joint, or maybe a kit? Any suggestions where to buy? :confused: I'm also wanting to put three new steering box mounting bolts on, (they have square shanks for the frame), Chevy dealer for these?
C3r

[Modified by SEE3ER, 3:52 PM 9/29/2003]
Old 09-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Changing steering box? (SEE3ER)

I don't recommend the "bolt together" flexible coupling kits. Purchase the complete assembly. If you have a 1968 or early 1969 gear box (input shaft has full serrations with no flat) use GM #7806391 flexible coupling assembly. If you have late 1969 through 1982 gear box with a flat on the input shaft use GM #7818568.

I am sure that the full coupling assemblies from Zip, Paragon, Dr. Rebuild, etc came from GM stock as well. So if you can't get a discount from a GM dealer, you might shop around.

As far as the mounting bolts, the GM part number is 3820342 but I don't find it in GMPartsDirect.com The bolt part number may have been superceded by something else. You should check a GM dealer. I would also suspect that most of the Vette suppliers (if they have them) would be using the GM approved bolts. Don't get them at a hardware store, they are obviously critical safety fasteners.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:57 PM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '21

Default Re: Changing steering box? (Jim Shea)

Thanks again Jim! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Changing steering box?

Quick Reply: Changing steering box?