C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which OD auto transmission for high power applications

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 12:24 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which OD auto transmission for high power applications

This is actually a little off-topic because it's for my '76 Suburban 454 with TH400, but a stout tranny is a stout tranny and that's what I need.
The TH400 is making noise and shifting strangely, so I need a strong upgrade. I plan to build the 454 to make about 450-500 HP and the truck is heavy.
I considered a 4L80E, but they seem a little hard to find and expensive.
Mike Kurtz recommends one of his 2004R Stage I setups, good for 550 HP I think he said, but the whole deal is gonna be around $3500.
I like the Gear Vendors unit but it's about $2000 plus shortening the driveshaft and other misc work to make everything right, and I still have to pay to have my TH400 rebuilt.

Options without OD are to have my trans rebuilt locally or buy something already rebuilt and upgraded from TCI or similar.

So what auto trannys are you high HP guys running?
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-29-2003, 12:46 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Which OD auto transmission for high power applications (no_radio)

Bow-Tie Overdrives now offers the TH700R4 overdrive trans in several stages to fit your performance targets/budget. Their 'Stage 2' 700R4 seems to fit your 450-500hp target. Check them out:
http://www.700r4.com

BTW, I believe this transmission is the single setup that Bow Tie once offered. I use this trans and it can be set up to 'behave' in a very mild manner while being nearly bulletproof behind my 318hp/420tq combination. The transmission alone is currently priced at approx $1100. Per the Bow-Tie website, comparable Heavy Duty transmissions will cost over $600 more.

NOTE: In 2001, I paid around $1650 for the trans, xmember, converter, and install kit. That included freight shipping to the local freight depot.

[Modified by TedH, 2:27 PM 9/29/2003]

[Modified by TedH, 2:28 PM 9/29/2003]
Old 09-29-2003, 01:16 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Which OD auto transmission for high power applications (TedH)

No matter which way you go, Heavy Duty cost moneys.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:33 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

From what I have seen, there is only ONE tranny worth considering....4L80e....the rest will NOT hold up under loading in a truck, with any weight on it at all.....the 700r4 is a joke, and the 200 just ain't going to last either....trucks are nearly 4500-5500 lbs, and that's a far cry from a 3300 lbs vette....same engine same torque....it's not happening for the tranny under those conditions....period....now put a trailer behind that puppy and the tranny is toast...period....

when you get that 4L80e, you will need an electronic controller, and a rebuild of course...with shift kit to slam gears hard as you cant get it to.....
and the most humongous ATF cooler you can find....2 of them really....and then you are grenade proof....

GENE
Old 09-29-2003, 03:03 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Which OD auto transmission for high power applications (mrvette)

:iagree: No way I'd put a 200-4R in a truck. Among other things, there'd be too much driveline lash smacking it around. And I've never been a big 700-R4 fan.

Just keep looking around. In a city as big as Houston, there's gotta be an affordable 4L80 out there somewhere...
Old 09-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

4L80E without a doubt is the way to go. Another option would be a GearVendors overdrive unit bolted to the back of your TH400. Turn it into a 6 speed overdrive tranny. GearVendors Overdrives are bullet proof and rated up to something like 1500 hp. They are probably more expensive than a Built up 700r4 or its newer brother the 4L60E, but they bolt right to the back of the TH400 and don't require a computer like the 4L60E or 4L80E.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:17 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Which OD auto transmission for high power applications (Smokehouse69)

Just e-mail Scott with these same questions. They do my 700's. There is another factor to consider when buying trannies. That's how much power does it burn up as heat.

700's like mine are built for up to 850 hp and are very abusive to everything behind them. I always seem to have U-joints, half shafts and rears going untill I upgraded them to all the strongest parts also.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:25 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Which OD auto transmission for high power applications (gkull)

I forgot to paste: 'scott@artcarr.com' That's ArtCarr Racing Trannies!
Old 09-29-2003, 09:52 PM
CHRIS718
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Which OD auto transmission for high power applications (gkull)

YOUR BEST BET IS A 4L80EHOWEVER,.WE MAKE AN AOD OVERDRIVE HYBRID WITH AN SFI BELLHOSING THAT WILL BOLT DIRECTLY TO YOUR BIG BLOCK CHEVY AND HAVE USED IT AT UP TO 900 HPOWER WITHOUT FAILURES.IT IS ALSO AVAILABLE WITH A 2.84 FIRST GEAR RATIO TO HELP PROVIDE ADDITIONAL STARTING RATIO.THE TRANS IS BUILT WITH STAMPED STEEL DRUMS THAT TAKE LESS HORSEPOWER TO ACCELLERATE INCREASING THE AMOUNT OF FLYWHEEL HORSEPOWER AT THE REAR WHEELS AND INCREASING FUEL ECONOMY.ALSO THE AOD USES THE MORE EFFICIENT RAVIGNEAUX PLANETARY SYSTEM WHICH USES ONE COMMON PLANETARY GEARSET TO PROVIDE 4 FORWARD RATIOS AND ONE REVERSE VERSES THE 4L80ES 3 PLANETARY ASSEMBLIES.SPRAG FAILURE IS UNHEARD OF WITH OUR CUSTOM BUILT 40 ELEMENT INTERMEDIATE / REVERSE DRUM.A 700R4 WILL ALSO WORK AND AT THIOS POWER LEVEL WE WOULD INSTALL THE 2002 CADILLAC ESCALADE 5 PINION FRONT AND REAR PLANETARIES,OUR BILLET REACTION TUBE AND ROLLER KIT WHICH REPLACES ALL THE THRUST WASHERS WITH HIGH CAPACITY ROLLER BEARINGS WHICH REDUCE INTERNAL FRICTION AND POWER LOSS CREATED AND CONSUMED DURING NORMAL INTERNAL COMPONENT ROTATION.AS A MATTER OF FACT IF YOU READ THE BUILD SHEETS ON OUR SITE THERE ISNT A COMPANY IN EXISTENCE THAT IS USING THE COMBINATION OF INTERNAL COMPONENTS THAT WE USE ON ANY GENERAL MOTORS AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.I WOULDNT USE A 2004R IN A TRUCK OF THIS TYPE .IWOULD USE A 700R4.AND THIS IS COMING FROM THE GUYS WHO MAKE THE BILLET INPUT DRUMS ,INPUT SHAFT AND T BRAKES FOR THE 2004R.I LOVE THE 2004R AS YOU CAN SEE BY LOOKING AT MY WEBSITE BUT IT DOESNT FIT THIS PICTURE IMO.CHECK MY SITE FOR THE STAGE 2 700R4 BUILDUP WITH A FULL LIST OF WHAT IS NEEDED AT THIS POWER LEVEL.WWW.CKPERFORMANCE.COM :D

[Modified by CHRIS718, 8:57 PM 9/29/2003]
Old 09-30-2003, 09:52 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Which OD auto transmission for high power applications (CHRIS718)

Thanks for all the responses.
I changed the fluid and filter last night and the noise and strange shifting seems to have gone away. I may have bought myself a little time, which is good since I was planning to address the tranny when I rebuilt the engine, and I'm not ready to do that yet.
Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 09-30-2003, 12:59 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There was an article in Super Chevy about the 4L65E which is a 4L60 with stronger guts. I think it can be bought from GM with a warranty and a controller. I also have heard that the hot tip on a 4L80E controller is to use a diesel controller. No firsthand experience with that, but it sounds reasonable. I echo some of the above, no way would I use a 200R4 in a truck.

Get notified of new replies

To Which OD auto transmission for high power applications

Quick Reply: Which OD auto transmission for high power applications