C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter handle has hard time going into 1st

Old 09-29-2003, 09:52 AM
madvette74
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Default shifter handle has hard time going into 1st

i have a 4-speed when i try to put it into 1st it hits the shifter plate i have to push hard for it to go in, usually my consol moves when i do this, is there a way i can adjust this under the car, i know there is a linkage for each gear, just wondering if it can be done.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: shifter handle has hard time going into 1st (madvette74)

Yes you can do just adj it to not hit or you can see if you are in the short throw position on your shifter arms. I had the same problem and fixed it just by putting the linkage in the short throw postition. Get under your car and look at the arms coming off the trans, the front 2 are the 1/2 & 3/4 and 3rd arm is rev. On the front 2 arms see which hole the linkage is in, probably the hole furthest from the pivot point. Move the linkage to the hole closest to the pivot point and it will stop hitting the console and the throw will be shorter. In case you are unfamiliar, the 'throw' is the distant the shift lever travels when shifting. In the short throw postion the shift lever will travel a shorter distance making for quicker shifts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shifter handle has hard time going into 1st