C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossed for the first time in 3 years...in a regional Corvette event

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 10:11 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Autocrossed for the first time in 3 years...in a regional Corvette event

I haven't been on an autocross course since before my first daughter was born nearly three years ago.

Went out to Shelton, WA today where the Corvettes de Olympia club hosted a Northwest Corvette Clubs Autocross. 28 Vettes participated from all over Washington and Oregon.

It was a last minute decision, but I decided to take the 2002, because I just finally got the '69 running well (and the power brakes installed-wow what a difference!) My wife gave me that "if you take the '69, it will break and cost us $1000 to fix!" Also, it was very hot today, so I figured the 2002 would be a better tourer back and forth with AC.

So in the C5 I raced. I was up against other C5s on street tires (there were 4 drivers in 3 cars.) There were 3 C3s: a 25th Anniversary edition, a '73 sb convertible and a girl in a yellow modded '75 coupe.

I can honestly say that this was the most confusing course I have ever participated in! I walked the course twice before and actually convinced the chairmen to allow people to rewalk during lunch, since people were still missing gates and slowing down mid-course to figure-out where to go. It was REALLY narrow, and the course crossed-over itself 4 times!

The good news was that they gave 5 timed runs, since I managed to plow-out cones in my first three (which was too bad, because I was hauling.) My main competition was the regional series "Stock C5" class leader. Stock refers only to street tires, as this guy (and his wife, who also drove,) had over 410hp.

There were some impressive drivers and cars, including a 200+mph competition C4.

At the end of the day here were the winners:
Stock C3: '73 Roadster - 44.869sec
Prepared C3: '78 Anniv. - 43.519
Stock C4: 45.512
Prepared C4: Grand Sport (race tires) 38.552sec
Super Stock: Z06 - 40.057
Race Prepared: Florida challenge C4: 43.774
Stock C5: ME!!! 43.260 (2nd place was the guy who clinched his division: 44.294) In my fun run at the end, carrying a passenger, I actually got a 42.2, but I hit a cone right at the end, so it cost me 2sec (and didn't count in the competition anyway.)

The Anniversary Edition driver REALLY impressed me. He was so smooth in his driving. Because my '69 has so much more HP, I probably could have beaten him, but it was cool watching him hustle the old shark around. Got a couple cool pix of him and the '73 too!

It was really fun to get back out there.

[Modified by sammyb, 9:15 PM 9/28/2003]
Old 09-28-2003, 11:10 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Autocrossed for the first time in 3 years...in a regional Corvette event (sammyb)

So where's the pix man???? :jester
Old 09-28-2003, 11:24 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Autocrossed for the first time in 3 years...in a regional Corvette event (79VetteMike)

Nice column! :cheers: (Didn't notice it before) :) MJ
Old 09-28-2003, 11:38 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Autocrossed for the first time in 3 years...in a regional Corvette event (MNJack)

You can see how tight the course is...this is the second gate -- right after the start.

I like this pic...it shows the car shifting its weight as the driver floors the fast pedal...And you can also see the middle of the course, where the cross-overs happen...see how dang confusing it looks!?!?!

[Modified by sammyb, 10:43 PM 9/28/2003]
Old 09-29-2003, 12:24 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Autocrossed for the first time in 3 years...in a regional Corvette event (MNJack)

Nice post, now you have me wanting to get back out there again.
Cool pics :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossed for the first time in 3 years...in a regional Corvette event

Quick Reply: Autocrossed for the first time in 3 years...in a regional Corvette event