C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Will paint stripper ruin my vettes fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 09:26 PM
79fastback
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Will paint stripper ruin my vettes fiberglass?

Hello all. I was all ready to begin removing the old paint from my vette this fall, until I read a popular vette restoration guide that insisted the paint stripper will lay dormant in the fiberglass and cause the next paint job to fall apart in a couple years. Is media blasting my only hope?
Old 09-28-2003, 09:43 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: HELP! Will paint stripper ruin my vettes fiberglass? (79fastback)

A much better method is to use a single edged razor blade, you'll be surprised how much you can get done in a pretty short time. This is a much better method than using paint remover, I personally think media blasting is dangerous as over agressive use of a blaster can cause the loss of the original body contours and edges.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:50 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Many paint experts agree that stripper, although effective, will resurface and slowly eat through new paint. Many fellow Vetters on here have used stripper without a problem and I hope we can hear their opinions and experiences as well.

I went with a safe method of just sanding my old paint off with a large file board.

:cheers:

Stephen
Old 09-28-2003, 10:00 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: HELP! Will paint stripper ruin my vettes fiberglass? (VolVette)

Many paint experts agree that stripper, although effective, will resurface and slowly eat through new paint. Many fellow Vetters on here have used stripper without a problem and I hope we can hear their opinions and experiences as well.

I went with a safe method of just sanding my old paint off with a large file board.

Stephen
And many vette owners have used the stripper with catastrophic results. Remember the golden rule, "Be safe, don't mess with strippers". :lol:
Old 09-28-2003, 10:33 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: HELP! Will paint stripper ruin my vettes fiberglass? (LAvetteman)

Stephen

And many vette owners have used the stripper with catastrophic results. Remember the golden rule, "Be safe, don't mess with strippers". :lol:
And many vette owners who use stripper fail to thoroughly wash the residue, post that their work has catastrophic results. Remember the golden rule, "Wash, wash, wash, if you think you got it clean, wash again."

Don't be misslead by tales that stripper gives bad results. Nothing farther from teh truth.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:48 PM
79fastback
3rd Gear

Default Re: HELP! Will paint stripper ruin my vettes fiberglass? (GDaina)

I am worried that even if I wash the heck out of it, there is no guarantee the stripper will not be absorbed by the fiberglass. Sanding it off sounds better and better. Even if a media blaster is used, sanding will have to be done.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:52 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Use water base stripper and wash with soap and water. I washed mine only twice but rinsed it off every time after stipping a panel...
Old 09-28-2003, 10:57 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I am worried that even if I wash the heck out of it, there is no guarantee the stripper will not be absorbed by the fiberglass.
HUH? Say waht? What ever gave you that idea?
Old 09-28-2003, 11:17 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

I am worried that even if I wash the heck out of it, there is no guarantee the stripper will not be absorbed by the fiberglass. Sanding it off sounds better and better. Even if a media blaster is used, sanding will have to be done.
You are correct in your assumption, the is NO GUARANTEE the wash and wash and wash method will work. The company that makes the stripper won't compensate you if all goes wrong, neither will any of the guys here that say its ok.

Old 09-28-2003, 11:22 PM
REVIVER
Racer

I used Captian Lee's Spray Strip I odered from CC and it washes off with water. Even comes with a plastic spray bottle to apply it with. This stuff worked great and washed off clean. There are strippers that will destroy the fiberglass but this stuff is made for it. After washing the body twice I wiped it down with laquer thinner and put it in the sun for a couple of days. Then carefully hit the body with 80 grit on a DA sander. Than I let it set in the sun for a few more days. Just be careful what kind of stripper you use and you will be OK. :thumbs: :flag

What ever you do, dont use stripper on the urathane bumpers!!! Water sand them down with 320 grit.

[Modified by REVIVER, 4:24 AM 9/29/2003]
Old 09-29-2003, 01:02 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You are correct in your assumption, the is NO GUARANTEE the wash and wash and wash method will work. The company that makes the stripper won't compensate you if all goes wrong, neither will any of the guys here that say its ok.
LaVette....have you ever stripped a vette using stripper? Based on your comments, I sure hope you have. Anything that's aggrivating is someone giving an opinion on a process without actually having having performed said task.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:30 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

G, calm down. My point is that many things can go wrong in the chemical stripping process, weather it be fault of the product or the user.

NO, I have not used a chem strip on a vette. When I stripped mine, many a wise professional corvette paint, body, and restoration men strongly advised NOT to use chem strip, so I didn't. Not long after I did mine a local vette owner not knowing the dangers did use chem strip and was sorry he did, he spent alot of money correcting his mistake.

As other have mentioned, you may not see the full effect of chem strip for years, not a chance most people want to take.

FACT: The manufacturer will not give a rats ash if the chem strip does cause ill effects, again weather it be fault of product or user. And I will guess that anyone here will say "well, you musta done something wrong" if all does not go well. Right?

Again, why take the chance when there are more safe methods out there.

To the original poster, the choice is yours. ALL post here are based on OPINION. No one here is saying chem strip WILL ruin your paint, but a few claim they have seen it happen.

Others must have stock in one of these companys because they swear by the stuff. :confused:
Old 09-29-2003, 04:42 AM
standup
Drifting

I have not tried to strip or sand the paint off a Vette........but my opinion is still valid because it's based on my knowledge of building products....

Methylene Chloride based paint strippers are the best on the market....not only do they do a wicked job on acrylic paint, but they will also remove polyurethanes and cured epoxy resins from concrete....Methylene Chloride has no conscience and will damage the fibreglass matrix of a Vette....

I hope this helps your decision.....
Old 09-29-2003, 07:59 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Man, there's a lot of old wives tales about this topic. Here's the real skinny. I've used Capt'n Lee's stripper to strip my vette twice with no problems whatsoever. It's a messy job but takes you right down to the glass. You can rinse it off with water which also neutralizes it. It won't be absorbed into the fiberglass but should be washed off well. First rinse with water and a scotchbrite pad. Then wash the car with dawn and rinse well. That's all you have to do. I won't post any pics of my car because you've all seen it enough times. Suffice it to say that my car's paint is world class and attracts a crowd at every show I go to. For a more in depth write up on this topic go here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page9.htm
Old 09-29-2003, 11:39 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: HELP! Will paint stripper ruin my vettes fiberglass? (vettfixr)

Man, there's a lot of old wives tales about this topic. Here's the real skinny. I've used Capt'n Lee's stripper to strip my vette twice with no problems whatsoever. It's a messy job but takes you right down to the glass. You can rinse it off with water which also neutralizes it. It won't be absorbed into the fiberglass but should be washed off well. First rinse with water and a scotchbrite pad. Then wash the car with dawn and rinse well. That's all you have to do. I won't post any pics of my car because you've all seen it enough times. Suffice it to say that my car's paint is world class and attracts a crowd at every show I go to. For a more in depth write up on this topic go here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page9.htm
:iagree: :thumbs:

Stripped three vettes, including mine, if you want to see the results, click on my profile....didn't use Capt' Lee's but used Bix, it was less expensive, and was available at Home Depot. Don't know how many times I let the stripper sit over night without harm. Stuff hardned like a rock, so had to apply another coat to melt the the hardened stripper. I went down as far as the factory primer. Saw no need to strip the primer. Was working on my friend's 66, had the original yellow, then black, then yellow, then black again, and Imron White, not to mention numerous coats of primer between the colors...took some time but Bix did the job, 2.5 gallons later we were down to the bare glass...bud wanted to strip it all the way down...when we completed one panel, as Gene mentioned, just used water to clean the stripper, afterwards, soap and water. I don't know what stripper was used that softens fiberglass, I guess for me to believe that I would have to see it...my experience with chemical stripper tells me otherwise...and yes, I have used a stripper that was petroleum based with the same results as above, except I used denatured alcohol and thinner to clean up.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:26 PM
77-C3 & 89-C4
Advanced

Ok Here is the deal, I did use a stripper and yes it is safe But wait it will eat away any bondo and previous repaired areas. You will create far more work then it’s necessary. Would I do it again No No No?

The body shop that I took it to also said all you did was create a lot more work for us and of course a lot more expense for me. The body shop said the best way to refinish any car vette, Fiero, BMW is the GOOD OLD method Sand paper and proper prep. Work. If I were you I would listen to the pros. Before you start take it to a body shop 1st.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:32 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: HELP! Will paint stripper ruin my vettes fiberglass? (77-C3 & 89-C4)

I am sure this subject will get beat to death for years to come. Opinions vary.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Will paint stripper ruin my vettes fiberglass?

Old 09-29-2003, 01:36 PM
77-C3 & 89-C4
Advanced

I am sure this subject will get beat to death for years to come. Opinions vary.
I agree this subject almost as bad as the subject of re-stamping parts to match the year.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:45 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: HELP! Will paint stripper ruin my vettes fiberglass? (77-C3 & 89-C4)

Or the wave!!! :lol: :seeya :nopity
Old 09-29-2003, 01:54 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok Here is the deal, I did use a stripper and yes it is safe But wait it will eat away any bondo and previous repaired areas.
:iagree:

Use of Bondo is not the proper way to repair fiberglass. Used only as a very thin top coat. If one is good with glass and resin, there is no need for Bondo. Use of Bondo on a Vette is the lazy way out and eventually will crack. Though there fillers on the market with glass strands mixed in and are good as a topcoats.

You will create far more work then it’s necessary.
Only if you want to do the job right.

The body shop that I took it to also said all you did was create a lot more work for us and of course a lot more expense for me. The body shop said the best way to refinish any car vette, Fiero, BMW is the GOOD OLD method Sand paper and proper prep. Work. If I were you I would listen to the pros. Before you start take it to a body shop 1st.
Keep in mind, the body shops don't spend much time...get the car in, get the car out...next. Grew up in my dad's body shop, as a teen gave up high school sports and worked after school. You can't tell me anything that I don't already know.

Body shops hate to hear the words...."I will strip and prep the car, you paint it." They are under the assumption that the person knows jack squat, and thus will create more work for them...that is a valid assumption on their part. Especially when using stripper...they assume there's residue, and the person is not capable or cleaning and washing the car.

Anyway, this debate will rage on for ages...yea, the stripper is messy, but once done, there are no gouges in the glass compared to the razor blade method...I tried that...careful as I was, the panel was full of gouges, in frustration I gave up.

Regardless which method you choose, removing the paint will be a time consuming job.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: HELP! Will paint stripper ruin my vettes fiberglass?