C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help.... K36 surfacer question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 02:08 PM
redvettefreek
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.... K36 surfacer question

Ok. I'm going by the Lar's reciepe for painting, 1st time painting any car for me. I notice the DP goes on leaving a nice smooth finish however the K36 leaves a somewhat rough finish. Even when sanded down with 150 it's not a smooth as the DP was. Is that the way its supposed to be ??? :confused:
Old 09-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Help.... K36 surfacer question (redvettefreek)

I think so. Remember that you'll end up wet-sanding with 600 grit before spraying, and that'll make it as smooth as a babies behind...

Why don't you try block sanding with some 320, then wet sand a bit and see if it improves? I painted mine recently using the same recipe and it was OK.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:29 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Help.... K36 surfacer question (Frank75)

:iagree:

And you may have sprayed it on a little dry. I noticed it do the same thing when I used it, but it sanded down nicely. Anything sanded with 150 won't be super smooth, but the final 600 grit pass will change that. The base coat won't want it any smoother.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:49 AM
Enad
Racer

Default Re: Help.... K36 surfacer question (Frank75)

I think so. Remember that you'll end up wet-sanding with 600 grit before spraying, and that'll make it as smooth as a babies behind...

Why don't you try block sanding with some 320, then wet sand a bit and see if it improves? I painted mine recently using the same recipe and it was OK.
:iagree: I think it was a some what rougher and did not have a shine to it. It all went away with the block sanding. FYI I had to block sanding mine three times.

Dane
Old 09-29-2003, 06:44 AM
Arkansas Flash
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DP is a sealer and goes on very smooth. K36 is a primer surfacer it goes on fairly rough unless you reduce it more than the directions call for. It will get smoother as you sand it with finer sandpaper.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: Help.... K36 surfacer question (Arkansas Flash)

While I haven't painted a car in many years I do use K-36 on all of my model jets which are mostly all fiberglass just like a corvette, only they are much harder to prep and paint than a car. :yesnod:
Everytime I buy K-36 they tell me that it does not need to be reduced at all, but every time I have tried to shoot it through any of my paint guns without reducer it shoots very dry and "spattery".
If you shoot it on too dry you will have major adhesion problems later on, and the paint will start coming off in big sheets.
I have found the best results from K-36 when it is reduced at least 75-100%.

It would be interesting to hear how much reducer the professional painters are using with this stuff.

[Modified by Kevin_73, 11:34 AM 9/29/2003]
Old 09-29-2003, 01:00 PM
redvettefreek
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for your input. I shot another coat of k36 yesterday. I'm going to block it with 220 tonight. I'm finding that it will sand very easy, almost to the point that if your not carefull you can sand it all off, especally with 180. If anyone has any suggestions on shooting Mettalic I would appreciate them as well. I've been told that if its your first time painting a car to stay away from metallic.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Enad
Racer

I've been told that if its your first time painting a car to stay away from metallic.
Darn, I missed that part. :D I shot a tricoat metallic my first time.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:14 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help.... K36 surfacer question (Enad)

If you don't mind me asking, why are you using such coarse paper? 220 is about as rough as you need for blocking primer, then 320/400/600. Are you using a guide coat to find low and high spots? I found that using an 8" sanding block gave me much better results than an 6" block. Long board the straight areas. Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Help.... K36 surfacer question

Quick Reply: Help.... K36 surfacer question