C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(OT) Harbor Freight Owns Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 10:05 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default (OT) Harbor Freight Owns Me

I gotta stay away from that site. :cry On the other hand I now have an AC Manifold gauge set, vacuum pump and an air brad nailer for my home projects and about a billion staples. :D It's great until the bill comes.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:20 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: (OT) Harbor Freight Owns Me (vettfixr)

I hear you!!!
Actually I should own at least an asile of Harbor Freight. I'm sure I've funded a good part of their store :lol:

I used to have to drive 50 miles to get to their nearest location, but now they went and screwed up and opened a store about 20 miles away. They opened 3 weeks ago, and I've been there the past 3 weekends!

Not always the best quality stuff, but there are still deals to be had!
Old 09-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I've got one by the house. And with the daily coupons they send me it's hard to stay away. :cheers:
Old 09-27-2003, 10:57 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: (OT) Harbor Freight Owns Me (Budman78)

Bought my first air compressor there last month. Just couldn't pass it up. :D
Old 09-27-2003, 11:01 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: (OT) Harbor Freight Owns Me (LAvetteman)

Yeah, I just discovered Harbor Freight about 3 months ago. That place is like crack to us car guys. I now have a 6000lb rolling winch ($49) and four car wheel dollies ($80) and a new air hose ($10)

and there are only about 30 other things I have put back on the shelf because I don't "need" them
Old 09-27-2003, 11:28 PM
lone73
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vettfixr:

I have had a long term respect for your dedication and perseverance to your project and I respect your opinion but I do believe you've missed it on this one...

It's not called Harbor Freight...

It's HORROR FReIGHT !!

I've visited the local store on numeros occasions and seen their tools and their quality in general is abysmal.

There IS a happy medium between Snap-On and "Horror Freight".
Give THAT a try... Money spent on cheap tools is worse than burning it.

later
dr

[Modified by DavidR, 10:33 PM 9/27/2003]
Old 09-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: (OT) Harbor Freight Owns Me (DavidR)

I live in a bum-*** town called Pearland and don't venture into Houston(15 miles away) very often. What the heck is a Harbor Freight?
Old 09-27-2003, 11:50 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: (OT) Harbor Freight Owns Me (bgrice)

Harbor Freight is one of those places that sell very, very cheap Chinese tools at jacked up prices. If you need something for one time use, and can't borrow it from Autozone, then get it from Harbor Freight.
They are basically the same tools that end up in those migrating tent show tools sales. Homier is one outfit that makes it through this part of bumfukt Texas, about every three months or so.
I admit that I have bought tools from them and probably will again, somethings that I use once a year I can't see spending Snap-on prices for.
My son lives in Houston and he tells me there are places in Houston where the Chinese have setup market places to buy these same tools right off the boat at really reduced prices. He told me he'll take me down there one day to see what they have for sale.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:55 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: (OT) Harbor Freight Owns Me (bgrice)

What the heck is a Harbor Freight?
http://www.harborfreight.com/
Old 09-28-2003, 01:01 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

There is a discount tool store close to me. I've bought alot of stuff from them so far. Alot of times, it's cheaper to buy the tools and do it yourself than sending it off to be rebuilt by someone else-that's how I justify most of my purchases. I bought an industrial sized sand blaster a few weeks ago and it's already paid for itself.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:05 AM
houstoncajun
Cruising

Default Re: (OT) Harbor Freight Owns Me (Smokehouse69)

hey smokehouse69, if you find out where that market is let us know. i am also in houston and use harbor frieght too, would like to cut out the middle man :cheers:
Old 09-28-2003, 08:38 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the secret of using Harbor Freight is to know what you're buying. I've bought a number of tools over the years and for light duty work they're fine. I have a sawzall that I use about once a year for branch trimming that I got for $39 and it's 3 years old now and hasn't missed a beat. Now if I was using it to make a living I would have gotten a good saw for $150-$300. Another example is the brad nailer I just got. For the ocassional use I'll give it you can't beat the price -$49. If I was in the business I would have bought a Stanley Bostitch at triple the price. You have to weight the use of the tool with the duty rating and in many homeowner cases the Harbor Freight tools are very adequate. Also, it's pretty hard to tell the difference in things like pry bars. I mean a hunk of metal is a hunk of metal.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:56 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

About 20 years ago or a bit more, I bought a drill press from HF , and it's served me well.....no complaints, however some years ago I put an American motor on it....more powerful....3/4 horse...from an old furnace blower...

MY favorite spot for anything like tools is the hock shop....go there for all you tool needs, buy Snap On for HF prices....seriously....gotta haggle though...

40 bux for a 160 buck Fluke DVM?? works fine....

30 bux to exchange my old CP 1/2 inch impace for a Ingersoll?? in a heartbeat....things like that....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To (OT) Harbor Freight Owns Me

Quick Reply: (OT) Harbor Freight Owns Me