C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 09:57 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils

I'm replacing alot of my suspension (poly all around, ball joints, shocks, etc.) I was going to get VBP's 550lb springs and cut them to get the desired ride height, but I found used Gymkhana springs for only $40. They are supposedly off a 10,000 mile car, would they be much different than getting VBPs springs and cutting those? Eventually (probably in a couple years) I plan to be replacing them with a composite front spring.

Thanks for the help, I'm excited to see how this car can really handle!

-Chris

[Modified by RUXperienced, 9:00 PM 9/27/2003]
Old 09-27-2003, 10:12 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils (RUXperienced)

You want to cut the coils? What on earth for? You like to scrape the oil pan as you're tooling down the road?
Old 09-27-2003, 10:47 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

The Gymkhana springs shoudl set you pretty low. Hmmm...do you know if they're off a big block car or small block?

How many coils do they have and what's their free length as compared to a stock coil?

There shouldn't be any reason you can't cut them if you think the car sits too high with them. Mine is sitting pretty much at the low end of the Gymkhana spec and it's just about perfect for me.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:16 PM
hgpreston
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's alot of work but I'd definately put them in and see how they sit before I cut them. Miles mean something but if the car sat on those springs for several years they are sagging from that. If I remember right for every coil you cut it'll drop 1 inch. :D
Old 09-27-2003, 11:18 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils (GDaina)

You want to cut the coils? What on earth for? You like to scrape the oil pan as you're tooling down the road?
It's more of a handling thing than a desire-to-replace-oilpans thing :D

It's off a '78 Pacecar, so it must be SBC. They look to have 8 turns, whereas VBPs have 7, which may be a trivial difference. Unsure of their length.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:10 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

by cutting the coil, you are not going to improve handling. If imroved handling you seek, poly bushings and composite front and rear springs will achieve what you seek. The FE7 coils will lower the car.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:17 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

I'm looking for a lowered center of gravity for handling purposes, and a lower stance in the front for aesthetic reasons. I am actually buying new poly bushings all around, but the composite front spring is wayyy out of my budget for now (college student, hehe) Thanks for the pointers!

-Chris
Old 09-28-2003, 03:23 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Cutting the coil will give him more spring rate on the nose. Dial in more understeer and what not. How is that NOT going to affect the handling?

I think, though, that the 550s sit quite low as it stands. More than low enough. I have to raise mine to clear headers. Maybe you should consider something with beefier coils- sits as low as the 550s but offers a higher springrate.

-Steve
Old 09-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get & install the used Gymkhana springs & also FE-7 rear VB composite.
Then you can consider cutting later.

Old 09-28-2003, 11:27 AM
Songman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way other than RPO codes to know if you have Gymkhana suspension? I have read somewhere that the RPO tag is underneath the gas filler but I have never gone to the trouble to look. It would be nice to know if my 82 has Gymkhana.

Next question... How is Gymkhana different?
Old 09-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils (Pacin'California)

Cutting the coil will give him more spring rate on the nose. Dial in more understeer and what not. How is that NOT going to affect the handling?
:iagree:

Spring rate will change since the rate is dependant on # of active coils. The spring rate is a srping constant and it doesn't change when the spring is compressed, the thing that does change is the load. All springs sag over time, they loose spring load.

The spring rate is the amount of weight needed to compress the spring 1"
The spring load is the amount of weight needed to comprress the spring to a certain height. This is related to spring load of course. If the spring rate = X then the load to compress the spring 3" is 3X.

This is because the spring has less ehgith than before, imagine a 5 coil spring where you cut away one coil. Before the spring would compress and all 5 coils woul take 1/5th of the compression, now with 1 coil cut off 4 coils have to take up the same compression. So, the spring rate is defined for 1" compression, then the rate will go up from 1/5h to 1/4th.

This will most certainly have an effect on handling.
The lower Cg will have an effect on handling too, lower CG means less weight transfer and therefore less body roll (body roll is caused by weight transfer, not the other way around)
Old 09-28-2003, 02:15 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils (Twin_Turbo)

With either VBP or these springs, I did plan to install before I decide whether I need to cut anything. I'm mostly curious how these coils compare to VBP's, they seem to have about the same number of coils, and same spring rate, but I thought they might sit higher because they weren't designed for a lowered ride height from the factory... or were they? I guess there's no reason they would react differently to cutting than VBPs would, assuming the need arises.

Thanks everyone,
Chris
Old 09-28-2003, 03:33 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I have/had the Gymkana suspension and my front end sits in the air like a 4X4 truck. I am in the process of installing tubular control arms and composite adjustable spring. I'll sell you my springs if you are interested.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:25 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils (79VetteMike)

How much are you looking for?
Old 09-28-2003, 07:10 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils (Pacin'California)

I think, though, that the 550s sit quite low as it stands. More than low enough. I have to raise mine to clear headers. Maybe you should consider something with beefier coils- sits as low as the 550s but offers a higher springrate.

Monty Carlo springs have the same dimensions as our vets but are longer to start and allow cutting and come in higher rates then 550.
550's are pretty low to begin with and some require spacers to add a little height.
Why does everyone consider to make a car handle you have to run such high spring rates? It is just a bandaid to cover other probelms.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:25 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils (norvalwilhelm)

What else can you do in the front, (proper sway bar of course) other than springs? I don't really have the ability to do the heavy modifications you and TwinTurbo are getting into... although I would if I could. I lack a garage, serious tools, and welding/fabrication skills. And of course, the almighty dollar.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:32 PM
PigPen
Advanced

I just put in the 550 lbs/in springs from VBP and it dropped it just perfectly without mod's. About 1 to 1 1/2 " lower than stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils

Old 09-28-2003, 10:36 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils (PigPen)

I just put in the 550 lbs/in springs from VBP and it dropped it just perfectly without mod's. About 1 to 1 1/2 " lower than stock.
Ding, ding, ding......we have a winner!!!!!
Old 09-28-2003, 10:47 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

What else can you do in the front, (proper sway bar of course) other than springs? I don't really have the ability to do the heavy modifications you and TwinTurbo are getting into... although I would if I could. I lack a garage, serious tools, and welding/fabrication skills. And of course, the almighty dollar.
As I said in my first post, you cut the 550# springs, and your pan will scrape. If your heart is set on cutting the springs, by all means, do so, you will end up trashing them. Cutting coils is not the proper way to improve handling. Install the springs without cutting, install new bushings, wheather rubber or polly, good set of shocks, and you've achieved a well balanced, well handling car.

As a side note, if you go to any SCCA or NCCC road races and ask if any of the drivers cut the coils for improved handling, I would be astounded if you hear one yes.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:48 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils (PigPen)

Was your stock spring a Gymkhana spring or a standard spring?

My 82s OEM FE7 springs up front sit at 28 3/8 height with 255/60R15s.

Brent...

Quick Reply: Cutting Gymkhana-type front coils