C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Bought a pressure cleaner today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default OT: Bought a pressure cleaner today!

A couple of years ago I had my house pressure washed to get the mildew off the eaves and gutters. The guy did a good job, but charged $300.00, plus I had to supply the bleach and soap.
The house needed it again and I thought about calling the guy again, but decided to use the $300 to buy my own pressure washer. I ended up getting a 6hp 2300psig 2.0gpm unit from Sears. I was leaniog toward a similar unit from WalMart with a Honda engine, but it was nearly $100 more expensive.
I got a pretty good deal on the Sear's model, it was a store return with a regular price of $379.00 it was on sale for $249.00 (a brand new one was $299) plus 10% off if you put it on your Sear's card. So I got it for $242.00 (including 8% local sales tax)
I was worried about the old Briggs&Stratton engine and how hard it might be to start. But to my surprise I poured some gas in it and it started on the first pull.
That sucker moves some water at pressure, it will actually etch concrete when set to pencil stream. Even with it set to fan spray I was surprised that it would acutally peel the paint off the house, if I got too close to it! I wish I'd had this thing a couple of years ago when I was degriming the underside of my 'vette. It seems about 7 to 10X more powerful than the washer wands at a car wash. I'd be afraid to use this thing on the body of my car, I'm afraid it would cut the fiberglass.
I can see that I am going to have a lot of uses for this piece of machinery. I'm still trying to figure out what the best chemical to use for cleaning the house, I bought some stuff from Lowe's that was supposed to remove mildew and dirt. It was useless, the guy I hired a couple of years ago used Joy dishwashing detergent and Clorox bleach. It did a great job, but I don't like the idea of concentrated Clorox bleach dripping on me while I spray under the soffits and eaves of my house.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:44 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: OT: Bought a pressure cleaner today! (Smokehouse69)

A couple of years ago I picked the $100.00 one up at Walmart, the electric type. Bought it to wash the vet with after reading that you should high pressure rinse it before hand rubbing it.

Anyways I use it for many different task from spraying down the dog area in the backyard to cleaning the deck. :thumbs:
Old 09-27-2003, 10:53 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: OT: Bought a pressure cleaner today! (Tominator)

Anyways I use it for many different task from spraying down the dog area in the backyard to cleaning the deck. :thumbs:
:iagree:

You will find many uses for it!
Makes a fun leaf blower too!!
Old 09-27-2003, 11:02 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

They'll make your garage flor sparkle as well! :thumbs:
Old 09-28-2003, 08:19 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I've been saying the same thing to my wife. :cuss :cuss A few years ago she paid $325 to have our deck cleaned! :cuss :cuss I had my eye on those residential models for some time. I really don't have any place to store another large "tool" like that though and she thinks I already have too many tools. :rolleyes: I saw one at Home Depot last fall for about $347 with a Honda engine.

Instead I settled on the spray washer gun attachment from Sears. It is used in conjuction with my 5HP compressor. It works a lot slower but will get the job done. The best way I found to clean my deck is to first wet down the wood surface. Then spray on full strength bleach. Let it set about 5-10 minutes or so. Spray it down and Viola! :hurray: Your deck is clean and it smells good (to me) too! :thumbs:
Old 09-28-2003, 08:42 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My biggest use is cleaning the pool cover and getting spots off the interlocking brick driveway.
For washing car I don't find it very good. It will rinse mood off the undercarriage but on the surface is leaves a scum.
If you are worried about the pressure just select a different nozzle and it will cut the pressure.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:06 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: OT: Bought a pressure cleaner today! (norvalwilhelm)

how good are they for parts cleaning, like blocks, heads?
Old 09-28-2003, 11:26 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: OT: Bought a pressure cleaner today! (Matt Gruber)

I just finished preasure washing the engine compartment on the 75 yesterday... :cheers:

Talk about a fun tool...

Good by grease! :D
Old 09-28-2003, 02:01 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: OT: Bought a pressure cleaner today! (Matt Gruber)

If you squirt he heavily grease encrusted part down with Castrol Purple Degreaser, and let it set for about 10 minutes, even the lower pressure and cleaning ability of a car wash pressure washer will do wonders.
Here's a couple of pictures of my TH400 after I removed it last year for a reseal job. I put in the back of my pickup, squirted it down with Castrol Purple Degreaser and drove to a car wash. 10 minutes later it looked almost new. I can't wait to try the new washer on some real grime like that!

Old 09-28-2003, 08:06 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do my house once a year. I use my commercial sprayer to shoot a 50/50 mix of water and bleach...let it sit for about 10 mins and hose it off. Looks like I just painted! Don't worry about the bleach drippin on ya. It drips on me but it doesn't bother me, but I always shower after I finish, so the bleach is never on me for more than 2 hours. Wear goggles!!

Brett :thumbs:
Old 09-28-2003, 09:04 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: OT: Bought a pressure cleaner today! (Brettmc)

I thought I'd use mine to wash cars but found it too cumbersome to bring around for a small job like that.

I use it after I go mudding or to clean of the driveway or deck.

Get notified of new replies

To OT: Bought a pressure cleaner today!

Quick Reply: OT: Bought a pressure cleaner today!