C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Vapor Cannister

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 06:53 PM
bb Blue 73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 Vapor Cannister

I need understanding with my vapor canister.

While trying to attach new lines to it with the engine removed (much easier), the small plastic hose connector labeled PCV broke off so I removed the canister to determine a fix or buy new.
I noticed that my hose going to the tee where the PCV valve and carburetor is, was connected to the canister port labeled FUEL TANK. So I plan on reconnecting it back up the correct way.
Upon further inspection, the plastic canister port labeled PCV (broken one) appears to go into an open top bowl (for the lack of a better word) where there is a small hole in the center of this bowl. The top of the bowl doesn’t appear to be broken but might be missing a filter or something.

My question: is the top of this bowl supposed to be open to the atmosphere?
If so, it must be sucking air from the carb. past the tee to the PCV valve and down to the top of this canister. It doesn’t get routed through the canister at all now.

I think I can fix the PCV port and get the hose back on so will not have to purchase another canister but can't see what good it does in its current configuration and would like to remove it all together if its only used for emissions.

Any explanation and help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:47 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: 73 Vapor Cannister (bb Blue 73)

One way to find out the hose routing is to buy an Assembly Instruction Manual. My 71 canister (I just had it out a few weeks ago) had a cap with a small rubber diaphragm and spring under the raised portion of the canister. If its what I think you talking about it may have been removed for some reason. That should be a closed system..i.e. not open to atmosphere. It seems Bubba has been f'in around with it if you PVC port was connected to the tank port.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:00 PM
FERL 73
Pro

Welcome. I'm not sure what the "bowl" is that you refer to. The port "tube" coming out of the canister is connected to a hard line from the gas tank. I can't read the top of the cannister, but looking down at the cannister there is a plastic device with 2 ports next to the tube coming from the gas tank. The port on the left goes directly to a "T" on the PCV and then to the carb. The port on the right goes to a vac port on the right side if the carb just above the throttle body assembly and "T's" to the vac advance on the distributor. I can't gaurantee that is correct but if it's not I'll learn something here also.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:44 PM
bb Blue 73
Advanced

Default Re: 73 Vapor Cannister (theandies)

I have purchased one of these assembly manuals from ebay. It hasn't arrived yet and it sure is good to know this would explain these types of things.
Sounds like the canister is missing a few things like the rubber diaphragm and spring. That is what I expected to to learn. Wonder how hard it is going to be comming up with that? I just realized it might be acting like a valve. When the rpm's go up, the diaphragm closes off the canister function.

Thanks for the quick post. I know what to do now.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:30 AM
theandies
Team Owner

They can be bought new.

http://www.zip-products.com/Corvette...B49A3939A4BAE7

[Modified by theandies, 7:30 AM 9/28/2003]
Old 09-28-2003, 01:08 PM
bb Blue 73
Advanced

Default Re: 73 Vapor Cannister (theandies)

What a good source for parts. Will get one ordered up monday. My motor should be done in a week or so and want to have everything ready for when it gets back.
This is a great place to read and learn about corvettes. Sure seems to be alot of good information with people willing to help.

Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:18 PM
theandies
Team Owner

What a good source for parts. Will get one ordered up monday. My motor should be done in a week or so and want to have everything ready for when it gets back.
This is a great place to read and learn about corvettes. Sure seems to be alot of good information with people willing to help.

Thanks again.
Yes, there is a ton of very knowledgeable people on this forum. Zip has a lot of parts. Do a google search for Corvette Parts and you'll find all the major suppliers. You can practically build a new Corvette with all the replica parts. Most of the larger suppliers will send you a free catalog.

Get notified of new replies

To 73 Vapor Cannister

Quick Reply: 73 Vapor Cannister