C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 corvette overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 02:51 PM
yellowrose
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 corvette overheating

My 72 Corvette will stay below 210 at highway speeds and idle, but when I stop and turn the engine off, the coolant goes to 220-230. I know because when I turn it back on after only a few minutes being turned off, the temp gauge reads that, and after that, it won't go back down. I also noticed when I turned it off at 200 deg, I have a lot of backflow into the reservoir and dumped 14+ oz of coolant on the ground. Any ideas/help PLEASE.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:30 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 72 corvette overheating (yellowrose)

First thing, welcome to the Corvette Forum! You will find lots of very helpfull people that will be happy to give advice. On your car I am assuming that it is stock with a belt driven fan? I would check and replace your thermostat first, Mr. Gasket makes a high flow unit and also the Stewart/Robert Shaw stat is the best. You can buy them direct from the Stewart web site, they also make a very high quality water pump as well. Check your radiator cap and replace it, while your at it drain the coolent and put in fresh. Those are the two things I would check first, it seems that since you are running somewhat cool on the road its not airflow through the radiator, the fan clutch might not be working right either. Your water pump may be the culprit too. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:49 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 72 corvette overheating (467-Ratman)

Start at the radiator. Check for bent fins, damage and possibly have it check for flow problems. At lower speeds, it may lose its ability to cooler due to restrictions in flow. Also check the fan clutch and water pump. Thermostats have no bearing on lowering the temps.

I can run at 180 degrees whether at idle or speeds in 110 degree desert heatand I have a stock setup with no overflow bottle.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:55 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 509 Likes on 309 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Re: 72 corvette overheating (yellowrose)

Three things that all above have mentioned, 1. Make sure the radiator is working VERY WELL. This is really important, but more so in a corvette. Replace the thermostat and leave the cap off when you start it and make sure it is flowing coolant. 2. All though form seals around the radiator are important, make sure they are all there and sealing. Most likely you have a bad thermostat and or a clogged radiator. My corvette runs 200 around town and 210 out on the turnpike 3. Welcome.

[Modified by killain, 5:56 PM 9/27/2003]
Old 09-27-2003, 06:00 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 72 corvette overheating (Robert N)

If the cooling fins have seperated, and it doesn't take many, the radiator looses it's ability to function. Normaly, the fins seperate on the bottom two rows. If that's the case, time for a new one, if you ave an aluminum rad. Copper....recore.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 corvette overheating

Quick Reply: 72 corvette overheating