C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument lamps

Old 09-26-2003, 11:24 PM
molchaser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Instrument lamps

I am in the final (I hope) phase of reinstalling the new dashpad in my 78. I decided to replace all the bulbs before I put it back together and ordered a full set from Ecklers.

The bulbs that came in the Ecklers kit were # 194 for the whole instrument area (21 in all), however what is in it now is a combination of #194 (with gray bases) and # 168 (Greenish bases). It appears the #194s are in positions of primary lighting (turn signals, etc) and the #186s are more for back lighting the guages.

Does anyone think the difference between these two bulbs is enough to go out buy a bunch of 168s? My gut feeling is the only difference is amps and brightness, but I keep the lights pretty dim anyway so I can't see that as an issue.

What do you all think ?

Thanks for your thoughts

Ken (molchaser)

[Modified by molchaser, 10:32 PM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-26-2003, 11:30 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Instrument lamps (molchaser)

I don't think it would matter. I honestly didn't know there was a choice, when I swapped out and replaced mine.

Old 09-27-2003, 02:22 AM
Viken
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Instrument lamps (joeveto)

I don't know about the stock instruments, but I went through lots of bulbs trying to get my VDO's on track. Even bought the $10 a piece PIAAs. They were very bright, but very hot. All the bulbs I used were 194s.

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument lamps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Instrument lamps